I am confused about the differences. Which one is cheaper (long-dist calls)? Better? more intuitive? Thanks.
    10-05-2010 03:01 PM
    Fring is multi-purpose, multi-transport capable.
    Skype is single transport.

Fring has
    Chat, calls, and calls to landlines, (even on 3g) and video calls.

Skype has chat, calls, and calls to landlines and video but only on WiFi.

Skype drops to regular cell minutes on Verizon for calls to landlines (or any non Verizon phones).

They are both huge pigs that refuse to allow transfer to MicroSD.

For the time being, I'm sticking with Fring, because of a couple IM accounts I have to monitor for work, and to talk to friends in remote places.

I had skype on my iPhone for years. They just seem not to have their technical fecal matter together anymore.
    10-05-2010 06:14 PM
    Again, Skype is WiFi-only in the US, on the rest of the planet it works fine over 3G.

Personally, I'm quite happy with the new Skype client. I used Fring before, but didn't like the UI (subjective) and felt it was a little unfinished (again, subjective). I will say that Skype is not as good as they once were, and I mean as a company. Their deal with Verizon, the time it took to get the app out and the lack of communication with the userbase is quite frustrating.

As far as SkypeOut and fringOut goes, I think Fring is cheaper. Never tried the video calling, but the feature is there nevertheless. Try 'em both for a while and see which one you prefer, I'd say. The Skype app is definitely going to need some time to mature.
    10-06-2010 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD