Looking for live speech to text app for phone calls for hearing impaired people

raphael75

May 9, 2014
Visit site
My wife is hearing impaired and it is almost impossible for her to make phone calls. Is there any app out there that would do the following:

• I or someone else calls her & she puts us on speakerphone
  • On her screen it would translate what we say to her live into a text readout
  • She could speak back to us normally

This would be a HUGE help for us and other hearing impaired people. Please let me know if this exists. Thank you.

Last edited:

Cadiche

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Raphael. I am Deaf and have had same problems for long time. But I did a lot of research for you. So many apps out there that say they are perfect but then they are total duds. If you have ANDROID (And I think you do because of your pic), you will love these:

DEAFCOM (you need to press a button each time you want to speak - not so good with phones but good with table conversation)

and

Deaf Helper (You just press LISTEN button and it transcribes every single thing to text until you press STOP so is great with phone calls).

I cannot post the links because I only just registered here so I can tell you about these. Also, for the first time ever, I rang my Dad in Australia (I live in Finland) on skype. I put my cell phone onto loud speaker, and next to the cell phone I had DEAF HELPER open and turned onto LISTEN. And it worked absolutely perfectly. I had to ask my Dad at the beginning of the conversation to speak loud and a little bit slower than usual, but he did and it all worked. He thought I had my hearing back with a miracle !! LOL But you can use this for your wife if you want to.

I hope this helps you and your wife. Please tell her hello from Deaf in Finland :)

Cadiche

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
There is also one more app that you might be interested in, but only if you have foreign friends who you see often. As I am an Australian living in Finland, my apps do not always translate perfectly what they say to me because of their beautiful accent. But an app called SPEECH TO TEXT (It's icon is grey circle with SPEECH written in white and TEXT written in red) will allow you to speak to them in your language, and it will translate it perfectly to their language in a flash. If your wife has Deaf foreign friends who speak, this might also be good for her.

Once again, sorry I cannot post the link. Until I have written 10 posts, I cannot help in that department :(

Good luck :)

raphael75

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Today I discovered a new app called RogerVoice. I tested it on my Motorola Droid Maxx and it worked surprisingly well. I called my mom, and if she spoke slowly, it was very accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs