AVG Mobile detected a threat

Vixarama

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I've never seen the icon before but the name is System Manager Application. I'm afraid to uninstall - should I?

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-11-14-30-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-11-14-30-59.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 12

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
First off which app is this? And is this app side loaded or downloaded from the play store?

If it's not something essential I would double check but me personally I would erase it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Vixarama

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what app it is. It's not in my app menu. I've never seen the icon before. It's not the same icon as the regular system icon. I ran a Malwarebytes scan and that one identified no threats so I'm confused.

Posted via Android Central App

Chaoticlimit

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Its a system function it came with the phone, it won't let you uninstall btw, you'd have to root your phone to uninstall it.
I don't remember getting an update for it...

As for what is causing the threat detection, not sure how true this is but this is what I found, thought I'd pass it along.

"AVG flagged your T-Mobile Android phone due to the Carrier IQ application calling itself System Manger app. Carrier IQ is a metric reporting data collector and basically infringes on the user privacy. Several Vendors (Verizon, AT&T, iPhone etc) have removed the Carrier IQ app due to invasion of the End User privacy.

The only way to remove the Carrier IQ so far is to "root" (jailbreak) the phone."

I'd take it with a dash of salt but seems like a valid reason, I'd rather ask AVG for confirmation however.

shadowstorm1988

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The NSA requires companies like T-mobile and Verizon to essentially help spy on U.S. citizens. This particular app collects data about how you use the phone (and may have other functions). So that is why it is flagged. in later version this particular "bug" is "fixed"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85