All "Barcode Scanner" needs to do is scan the barcode and go on the internet to find information pertaining to the barcode. Why then does the app want access to every area of the phone. Unless of course, the developer is harvesting information and selling it.
    10-07-2010 01:37 PM
    I use Google Goggles. At least it's made by Google.
    10-07-2010 01:41 PM
    Uhm....this is what I'm seeing in the permissions for it.
    • Personal Information (read/write contact data): You can scan business cards and have them automatically added to contacts. Use it all the time at conferences (you'd be surprised how many people in the tech industry are using those QR barcodes on their business cards now)
    • Network communication (internet): To look up items.
    • Storage: store your history of scans.
    • Hardware controls (take pictures): obviously, it uses the camera and flash.
    • System tools: This item gives the app permission to use available Wi-Fi networks rather than your mobile network. In the absence of trusted Wi-Fi networks or if Wi-Fi is disabled, the app will make use of your cellular network (if available).

So what don't you think it needs access to again?
    enzofall likes this.
    10-07-2010 01:43 PM
    nice lol
    10-07-2010 05:01 PM
    EvilMonkey covered it.

Also if it's the Zxing one it's open source which makes it easier for the community to verify what it's doing.

zxing - Project Hosting on Google Code
    10-07-2010 05:47 PM
    Thanks for your reply evilmonkey. I did not see a reason to read existing contacts. But, you explained it.
    10-08-2010 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD