I love making use of the status bar to store frequently accessed things when I can. What are some good apps to do this? I'm already using smartbar and gesture bar. Any that I'm missing?

Thnaks
    10-07-2010 04:12 PM
    FolderOrganizer - can put app icons in the status bar. You put whatever apps, bookmarks, shortcuts you want into a folder that you say should be in the notification bar.

Bamm! it's done!
    10-07-2010 05:45 PM
    FolderOrganizer - can put app icons in the status bar. You put whatever apps, bookmarks, shortcuts you want into a folder that you say should be in the notification bar.

Bamm! it's done!
    Oops, sorry, I gdid not say where that came from. Thats in the Folders section of the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks.
    10-08-2010 09:36 AM
    rotz55 - Take a look at "Bar Control" in the market. I think this will give you what you are looking for.

Here's the link to AppBrain - Bar Control - Android app on AppBrain
    bgpasha likes this.
    10-08-2010 10:25 AM
    Anything that can show the most recently used apps?
    10-08-2010 02:31 PM
    rotz55 - Take a look at "Bar Control" in the market. I think this will give you what you are looking for.

Here's the link to AppBrain - Bar Control - Android app on AppBrain
    This is cool, just tryd it and works well. I put bluetooth togle in SB as I always turn it on and off when Im jumping in and out of the car. Thanx!!!
    10-08-2010 04:54 PM
    Hold down the Menu button - that will show you the last 8-10 apps you used.
    10-08-2010 05:18 PM
    You realize that this tendency to use the notifications area is counter productive and unsustainable don't you?

What if EVERY app insisted on putting an icon up there?

Android already has the best notifications system of any platform. IPhone users are jealous.

To fill this up with crap icons that are simply not needed (I'm looking at you Skype) is just wrong headed. This is not windows. You don't need to see everything all the time.

All you need is notifications of things needing your attention. You don't need notifications of things not needing your attention. If it has nothing to tell you, it doesn't need to be there.
    10-08-2010 09:43 PM
    I think that people want an easy way to get to most-used programs, without returning to the home screen. While I agree that you don‘t need multiple apps in the status bar, I love havinng Quick Settings on my notifications, as I can easily change (for example) my wifi status if I discover that I forgot to turn it on, without having to leave the browser. Or turn on BT without leaving my podcast app. YMMV.
    10-08-2010 10:28 PM
    @icebike. I'm sorry for wanting to use my phone as productively as possible. When I had vanilla Android on my Droid (oh the glory days) I got very used to using quickdesk, what I consider to be the absolute best app on the market hands down. Some moron at Motorola decided it would be a good idea to make it impossible to use this app on the Droid x so now I'm stuck trying to find ways around that company's idiocy. Using apps in the taskbar is as close as I can get to the same functionality. If you don't want that capability don't use it, but some of us may like it.

I agree with you that Android has by far the best notifications system on the market (I prefer it to web os.) However, it also has what I consider to be the most useful multitasking capability of any os right now. Sorry for trying to make use of that.

Thanks for the tips so far guys, I like both choices a lot and will by making use of the one I get used to the fastest. Anyone know of one that works with widgets (probably a pipe dream)?
    10-09-2010 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD