My wife wants a program that will allow her to dictate a note into her phone and then have that note pop up on her PC desktop so she can see it without even going into her PC e-mail.

Anybody know a program that does this?

Thanks.
    10-09-2010 06:15 PM
    10-09-2010 06:24 PM
    Looks like a very powerful program, but searching the feature set I still don't see anything that will send a note directly to a PC's desktop. I've written the developer to ask him. Thanks for the lead.
    10-09-2010 08:04 PM
    Looks like EVERNOTE comes pretty close to what I need. I'm not sure it will pop up a note to your PC desktop, but you can leave the program running in a window on your PC and it will automatically refresh at designated intervals to look for new notes.
    10-09-2010 08:53 PM
    You can use Gtasks on your android to make notes -list etc and then on your PC open Gmail and click on task which will open a pop up window. Click on the Pop Out button on that window and that will leave the window open on your PC . Now if you make a change in Gtask on your Android you will see this change show up in the task pop up window on your PC.
    10-09-2010 11:20 PM
    For now, to autosync, I use GDocs.
    It allows you to sync with your Google Docs which is the best way to do this I think. I would give this a try first!
    GDocs - Android app on AppBrain

I love NoteEverything Plus. They do offer an add-on called NE GDocs. The problem with it is it does not auto sync. I cannot wait until they fix that! I am unsure why they cannot get that to sync if other programs can. Anyway....
    NE GDocs - Android app on AppBrain
    10-10-2010 12:51 PM
    I wrote to the Note Everything Developer and he wrote back saying that Note Everything does NOT sync to PC yet, but they are working on it.

Evernote seems to work but is a little more complicated than I'd hoped for my non-techy spouse.

Testing GTasks now. Thanks for the suggestions.
    10-10-2010 08:37 PM
    Dang it. GTasks almost does what I need. The only problem is that even with a pop up window on the PC, you must manually refresh the pop up window to see newly added tasks. :< I want to be able to dictate a note into my phone and have it automatically sync to the desktop. Back to EVERNOTE I guess, which does allow for auto-sync at specified intervals.

Will try GDOCS now and see if that autosyncs.
    10-10-2010 09:48 PM
    Gdocs seems a little too involved for just a quick simple note syncing app. Clear Notes also seems a little complicated. So far Gtasks is best except it requires manual sync. Will continue to investigate.
    10-11-2010 10:03 AM
    Gdocs seems a little too involved for just a quick simple note syncing app.
    I am unsure what you mean by involved? You setup your Google information the first time you run it.

You simply launch the program and see all your Google Docs.
    If you want to edit one just tap it and it will DL to the phone. You then read/edit them and they stay synced to your Google Docs on the PC. It does not get any easier.

Just for reference I just went through and figured this out: It has a color bar next to each one to see its status. Blue for not downloaded. Pink while it is downloading. Lt Blue when a local copy is on the phone, you can just edit from the program. Purple if you updated it on the phone while it syncs back up, happens automatically. Green for CSV files (edits in the browser), Red for PDF's (edits in the browser), Yellow for other files like zipped files etc... that you cannot edit.

You can then edit them and they will show up on the phone as well as the PC.

If I edit a file on the PC it can take a few min for the phone to see the change but that is not a huge deal to me.

Anyway just trying to help ii
    10-11-2010 10:40 AM
    I appreciate the help Paladin. I'm just finding the simplest solution for a "Tasks" or "To Do" list for my non-techie wife who just got her first Smartphone (a Droid 2 of which I am already jealous- it's noticeably snappier than my Droid 1!)

On further investigation, it really seems like GTasks does just about everything I want. Using Google Chrome's "Create Application" function you can create a little window on your PC desktop that is neat, clean, uncluttered and WILL automatically update itself within minutes of sending a note from your phone with no user interaction necessary at the PC. It takes maybe two or three minutes for a note sent from your phone to appear on your desktop, almost like magic! Conversely you can set up a GTasks widget on your Droid where your tasks are always easily seen and edited and which also autosyncs.

I tried a whole bunch of different programs and approaches today, including Clear Notes, Cloudnotes, Evernote, GDOCS Notepad w/ Sync, Remember the Milk and MNotes. None of them created such a simple uncluttered automatically updating note window on my PC desktop except for GTasks.

I showed off GTasks to some colleagues at work today (one with an iPhone, another with a Droid) and the Droid guy immediately went off and installed the same setup on his own desktop PC while the iPhone guy just looked envious. When you combine GTasks with the power of Google Voice input, its pretty impressive - just to be able to dictate into your phone and have it pop up a moment later on your PC desktop!

Apparently from what I've read, the automatic sync will disappear from the free version in 30 days. but I think it will just be a $7 flat fee after that. Not too bad when "Remember The Milk" wants $25/year!

Now I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way for me to send my notes/reminders to my wife's GTasks and vice-versa? I see where I can "share" notes to Facebook, or via Gmail, but can I send a task directly to her GTasks window?
    10-11-2010 11:41 PM
    As I said Gtask is the way to do it. And yes I forgot to add how to update it. It works perfect.
    10-12-2010 07:33 AM
    I appreciate the help Paladin. I'm just finding the simplest solution for a "Tasks" or "To Do" list for my non-techie wife who just got her first Smartphone (a Droid 2 of which I am already jealous- it's noticeably snappier than my Droid 1!)

On further investigation, it really seems like GTasks does just about everything I want.
    Oh sorry, I thought you wanted to sync docs not tasks, very different. Gtasks sounds like it is your best bet then. ii
    10-12-2010 08:19 AM
    Dang it. That envious iPhone colleague of mine came in today with Google Tasks for iPhone:

iPhone Web App: Google Releases Gmail Tasks for the iPhone - iPhone Hacks

But he still doesn't have it all set up to sync to voice dictation like my Droid does.
    10-13-2010 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD