I have a seasonal camp that I use thru out the summer. I have Directv at home. Directv was nice and offered to set up a dish and allow me to bring over my boxes so I could use it when I am at camp but due to the trees they wouldn't install it. It will cost me $27 a month for local channels only thru cable, not really worth it for the amount of time we are there. So I started looking at Slingbox but I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

1. I share my internet at my house with my neighbor. Is streaming the slingbox going to kill his connection speed? It is Verizon DSL.
    2. Can I use the video out on my EVO and use the hdmi cable to connect to my hd tv in my camper?
    3. If I can't use my evo will it work with a wireless card and my laptop feeding my tv with an hdmi cable?

I just don't want to waste the money or time if it isn't going to work. I am thinking I can use the evo in the bedroom and the laptop in the living room since we usually don't watch it that much anyways. Late nites and rainy days.

Hope someone can answer the questions.
    10-09-2010 07:31 PM
    I've had a Slingbox for about four years and I absolutely love it. I may be able to answer you questions.

1. I share my internet at my house with my neighbor. Is streaming the slingbox going to kill his connection speed? It is Verizon DSL.
    2. Can I use the video out on my EVO and use the hdmi cable to connect to my hd tv in my camper?
    3. If I can't use my evo will it work with a wireless card and my laptop feeding my tv with an hdmi cable?
    1. Probably not but it depends on the DSL internet speed, and if they're maxing it out. If it's a slow 768kbps plan and they're streaming video or using BitTorrent a lot, then it'll probably negatively impact your Slingbox and vice versa. But if it's a faster connection and they're only using it for basic web browsing, then you'll probably be fine.

2. I don't think so. I haven't bought an HDMI cable for my EVO but the output is locked down for only a few apps so I'm guessing it won't work without some hackery, if at all.

3. Absolutely. You can get Slingplayer for your laptop and use whatever outputs are available to you. The only thing is that it won't be in HD unless you get one of the Slingbox HD models. Not that HDMI wouldn't still work, but since the Slingbox wouldn't be streaming an HD signal you wouldn't get an HD signal on your laptop to put out over HDMI.

You'll obviously have a larger expense to purchase the Slingbox, but after that there are no monthly charges.
    10-10-2010 11:39 AM
    I just picked up a pro hd bc I wanted full screen coverage on my dx. Man is it awesome. Live tv, dvr access and streaming netflix via tivo. So worth it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    10-10-2010 02:19 PM
    I use slingbox all the time using 3G and 4G from Sprint. It works quite well, but is not broadcast quality, neither SD or HD.
    10-10-2010 03:37 PM
    Anyone have updates on this?

Is the consensus that slingbox mobile on android works well and is worth it?

I assume it's a battery hog with all that data and display pwr needed?

Thanks in advance,
    AJ
    11-17-2010 04:14 PM
    I bought a 32gb SD card (about $80 from Amazon.com) and filled it up with video. I use that when I want to watch video. TV.COM also has some good programming viewable even over a 3G connection.
    11-17-2010 06:33 PM
    Sling Box HD Rules. I have Verizon Fios as my ISP, Works GREAT!!.
    forget about websites and the like. With slingbox you get Everything you pay for at home to get to any internet connection. i give it a 10 out of 10.
    11-18-2010 11:40 AM
    2. You should be able to display SlingPlayer Mobile on a TV/Monitor with your video output.

I've had a Slingbox for about four years and I absolutely love it. I may be able to answer you questions.

1. Probably not but it depends on the DSL internet speed, and if they're maxing it out. If it's a slow 768kbps plan and they're streaming video or using BitTorrent a lot, then it'll probably negatively impact your Slingbox and vice versa. But if it's a faster connection and they're only using it for basic web browsing, then you'll probably be fine.

2. I don't think so. I haven't bought an HDMI cable for my EVO but the output is locked down for only a few apps so I'm guessing it won't work without some hackery, if at all.

3. Absolutely. You can get Slingplayer for your laptop and use whatever outputs are available to you. The only thing is that it won't be in HD unless you get one of the Slingbox HD models. Not that HDMI wouldn't still work, but since the Slingbox wouldn't be streaming an HD signal you wouldn't get an HD signal on your laptop to put out over HDMI.

You'll obviously have a larger expense to purchase the Slingbox, but after that there are no monthly charges.
    11-18-2010 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD