App to SD

prich3#AC

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
So I've got app to SD installed on my phone and I know that moving some apps to the SD card will free up space on the phone and make it faster, but what I need help with is knowing which apps to send over. How should I make the distinction between keeping it on the phone or moving it to the SD card? Any help here would be greatly appreciated... thank!

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Im have a Dinc. Does moving them to the SD card alter their function at all?

i dont think there should be a problem. the only thing you need to avoid is moving apps that have widgets to you home-screen. if you move an app to your sd card and you're using a widget from that app there could be issues with the widget itself.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
So I've got app to SD installed on my phone and I know that moving some apps to the SD card will free up space on the phone and make it faster, but what I need help with is knowing which apps to send over. How should I make the distinction between keeping it on the phone or moving it to the SD card? Any help here would be greatly appreciated... thank!

Move every app that offers the option. <-----<<<

Don't worry about those that have widgets, they take care of themselves. Worst case is a keyboard that has some components (dictionary) installed on SD may revert to the default keyboard after each boot.

But since I reboot at most once a month, its not a problem.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
So I've got app to SD installed on my phone and I know that moving some apps to the SD card will free up space on the phone and make it faster
That's a flawed assumption. In certain cases, running out of space will cause slowdowns but increasing space doesn't mean you'll increase performance in all cases. The notion that more internal storage means a faster device seems to be an old habit carried over by PC users that are used to hard drives slowing down as they fill up.

Make sure you're actually addressing the bottleneck that you're experiencing. If CPU utilization is an issue then freeing internal storage won't do a thing for you.

Also be aware that your SD card is slower than internal memory.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The widgets become inoperable after the application is moved to the card and the device is reset. There are some of us forced to be reboot on a daily basis, as I must do in order to insure the Bluetooth functionality works properly.

Move every app that offers the option. <-----<<<

Don't worry about those that have widgets, they take care of themselves. Worst case is a keyboard that has some components (dictionary) installed on SD may revert to the default keyboard after each boot.

But since I reboot at most once a month, its not a problem.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
need to avoid is moving apps that have widgets to you home-screen.

Ditto this...can't believe the number of stupid comments I've seen on the Market pages that are related to this...it's like people just move all the apps and ignore any warnings.

That said, app developers who have widgets should not be enabling app2sd functionality (but of course people will then gripe that they can't move the fat app to sd :)

Only other thing to worry about is if you connect to your computer, the SD card will be disconnected from your phone and connected to the computer, so your apps won't work...affects anything that expects to run in the background...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech