Vignette vs. Stock Camera App

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So, all this hype about Vignette made me download the app yesterday. Here are my pros and cons and please chime in if you agree/disagree.

1. The filters are the best feature of the app.

2. My main concern is that I think the stock camera app on my droid 2 takes cleaner and crisper regular pictures with no filters than Vignette does. I took a pic with my stock and then the same pic with Vignette and it doesn't compare. I have Auto focus on, auto flash, scene mode is auto, 5.0mp resolution on my Vignette settings. If I can get a cleaner picture then tell me how.

Also, I noticed that if I take a pic on my stock camera and upload to fb, it uploads sideways. Took a pic on vignette and uploaded it to facebook and the orientation was correct.

I would love to use Vignette as my default camera, but having a hard time getting past the fact that the stock camera has a cleaner picture, THOUGHTS???

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Yes, the orientation data on Vignette works better than on the stock camera, something I hope they'll fix for the stock app as I still use it.

Have you tried using Vignette's SteadyShot mode? Wondering if there's anti-shake built-in to the stock camera?

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I have the Vignette Image Stablization ON...if that is what you are talking about...I also have the feature on where you just press anywhere on the screen to shoot the picture. I wonder if that has anything to do with the overall focusing to make the picture look better/worse

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
First I'll point out I'm not a photographer by any means (and am impatient having to fiddle with settings for minutes in order to get things just right).

I haven't had much luck with Vignette under anything but daylight conditions (and they look better than stock). I tried for like 15 minutes to get a shot of Busch Stadium in St. Louis when I was there, and the weather was overcast and a little dark, and they all came out super-dark with almost no detail. Could not find a good setting/combination of settings, so I switched over to the stock and they were fine. I have similar issues indoors.

I also cannot use Vignette for trying to capture any kindof picture where timing matters (like sports or my kid playing or even my dog catching a frisbee)...there's just too much of a delay in the shutter...it seems like 1 or 2 seconds from the time you tell it to take a picture and it actually does. Stock is a lot faster at that.

That being said, I do like Vignette for the effects and the better camera rotation. I do believe Facebook is supposed to be adding a much more advanced photo album feature soon (to compete with Flikr and whatnot). Not sure when that's coming, but I read it a couple weeks ago. I'm sure when it's available, you'll be able to rotate them once uploaded.

I give it props for having a lot of options the stock is missing though. Kindof wish I was more patient to mess with settings, but most of the time, I just want a point and shoot.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Okay. It was just a thought. I use both stock and Vignette, but since I usually add some effect to the Vignette shot (border, sepia, etc.) I guess I haven't noticed the difference. But I just took two shots of the same thing with stock and Vignette, and you're certainly right: stock is sharper.

Vignette seems to come out with VERY regular updates...perhaps fire off an e-mail to them and see what's up.

Then again, if I want a really good picture I pull out my 15Mp DSLR and take the shot.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
I do believe Facebook is supposed to be adding a much more advanced photo album feature soon (to compete with Flikr and whatnot). Not sure when that's coming, but I read it a couple weeks ago. I'm sure when it's available, you'll be able to rotate them once uploaded.

They can be rotated now after upload. Only problem is that it's not an option on the Android/mobile version of Facebook, so you have to upload and then get to a real computer to get the rotate option.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
First I'll point out I'm not a photographer by any means (and am impatient having to fiddle with settings for minutes in order to get things just right).

I haven't had much luck with Vignette under anything but daylight conditions (and they look better than stock). I tried for like 15 minutes to get a shot of Busch Stadium in St. Louis when I was there, and the weather was overcast and a little dark, and they all came out super-dark with almost no detail. Could not find a good setting/combination of settings, so I switched over to the stock and they were fine. I have similar issues indoors.

I also cannot use Vignette for trying to capture any kindof picture where timing matters (like sports or my kid playing or even my dog catching a frisbee)...there's just too much of a delay in the shutter...it seems like 1 or 2 seconds from the time you tell it to take a picture and it actually does. Stock is a lot faster at that.

That being said, I do like Vignette for the effects and the better camera rotation. I do believe Facebook is supposed to be adding a much more advanced photo album feature soon (to compete with Flikr and whatnot). Not sure when that's coming, but I read it a couple weeks ago. I'm sure when it's available, you'll be able to rotate them once uploaded.

I give it props for having a lot of options the stock is missing though. Kindof wish I was more patient to mess with settings, but most of the time, I just want a point and shoot.

Yeah I totally agree with you with the whole settings...I will most likely just use it for the effects on pictures. I will take the shot with my default camera app and then just bring it into vignette for an effect.

Reason I wanted to default to Vignette was due to the stock camera not uploading vertical pictures correctly to FB. If what you say is true about a new FB update, I may faint! Not to go off topic, but the fb app on the droid is pathetic!!! The fact I use the mobile site more than the app should really tell the developers they need to integrate it better. Notifications shouldnt be going to emails bc then you go to view the email and it redirects you to the mobile website, not directing you to the app..which it should, just like blackberry did. Where did you read about the fb update? I would like to read more into that as well.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay. It was just a thought. I use both stock and Vignette, but since I usually add some effect to the Vignette shot (border, sepia, etc.) I guess I haven't noticed the difference. But I just took two shots of the same thing with stock and Vignette, and you're certainly right: stock is sharper.

Vignette seems to come out with VERY regular updates...perhaps fire off an e-mail to them and see what's up.

Then again, if I want a really good picture I pull out my 15Mp DSLR and take the shot.

Well, you are right...at that point lets just whip out the SLR. When we dont have the SLR though and want a quick photo taken, we use the cell phone. Technology today is just getting way to ahead of itself and I will explain my reasoning due to your answer you gave me.

It seems like you still will use multiple devices of technology like a digital slr camera, a cell phone, a laptop, and a garmin gps...right? I love the fact that we are all trying to come out with one device that has all of these devices within it, but the problem is the quality and output of this one device doing all of the technology. I must say, I steered away from my outdated maps of the garmin gps and do use my droid nav a lot because it is more up to date and does the same thing the garmin does. Camera wise, I still have a digital camera and I still have a laptop!!!

It is interesting what the world is trying to do with technology though

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Well, you are right...at that point lets just whip out the SLR. When we dont have the SLR though and want a quick photo taken, we use the cell phone.

I use the cell phone when it's all I've got, yes.

Most of my experience with combined technology (VCR/DVD/TV, cell phone/gps/camera/blender) is that they do all functions at about 80-90% of the dedicated devices. I use my Droid's GPS, but the voice just sucks when compared to the GPS in my wife's car. I use my Droid phone, but I'd much rather pick up a landline. I use the contacts in my Droid, but I'd much rather sit down at my laptop with GMail to do any editing. I play Angry Birds on my Droid but I use my desktop system with kick-*** video card to play online first-person-shooters.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I use the stock app for taking pictures since the touch-focus got faster in 2.2.

You can still upload the pictures into Vignette after you take them with the stock app. The best of both worlds, if you ask me. You can modify the pictures afterwards with Vignette instead of trying to get all of the settings figured out before you take the picture.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante