Copy and Paste

Harriett Wright

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I need to be able to type special Spanish characters using my new Nexus 7, but neither the virtual keyboard nor my bluetooth Apple keyboard has a number pad or a number lock so I can't use the alt key and the number pad to type Spanish characters the way I do on my PC. I found Mac keyboard codes for this and they work for á, é, í, ó, ú, ñ, and ü, but I can't get them to make ¡ or ¿.

I found a web site, spanish.typeit.org, with a clever solution: you type your text right on the web page which has all the Spanish characters for you to touch when needed, then you copy and paste it all to a word processor. I typed my text and selected it via a "select all" button on the web page, but having done all that I failed utterly to copy and paste the text to Google Docs or OfficeSuite Pro 7. I couldn't do it with the virtual keyboard or the bluetooth keyboard.

So here's my question: is it possible to copy text from spanish.typeit.org and paste it to Google Docs or OfficeSuite Pro 7? And if so, how is it done? If all else fails I guess I'll have to buy a keyboard with a number pad, which seems a shame when I already have this nice one that my daughter gave me when she bought herself a full sized keyboard.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Google Keyboard allows you to input the upside down exclamation and question marks. You have to toggle to the symbols first, then press and hold the exclamation point or question mark until the upside down version appears, then release. That should work for other characters as well--for example, to get an a with an acute accent, press and hold "a" until you see the selections appear.

Harriett Wright

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I am so lame! I can't even figure out how to bring up the keyboard in order to try out your method. I have Google Docs and OfficeSuite Pro 7 (which I bought because some reviewer said it was better than Google Docs). In neither one can I get the keyboard to appear.

I think I'll search Amazon for Nexus 7 for dummies.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In Google Docs, just create a new document. The keyboard should come up automatically; if it doesn't, tap the blank document screen, and then the keyboard should come up.

Or open Chrome, tap the URL bar, and the keyboard should come up to allow you to type in a web address.

Harriett Wright

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
The holding down the key method worked beautifully! Thank you. Unfortunately I had to try it out in an existing document, because I don't have a clue as to how to open a new one.

hiredgun

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to add that I am living in Spain right now and texting in Spanish is a Must, lol, and so far TouchPal X is the best Spanish/English keyboard I have found. It's free so you might want to give it a try. Saludos de Sevilla, lol.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mean on Google Docs? If you're using the Google Drive app, tap the "Create" button at the bottom, then select Document. This will open Google Docs (if you don't have it installed on your device yet, search for it on Google Play and install it: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d.apps.docs.editors.docs&hl=en&token=pFJ1Tmwl). Previously, Google Docs was incorporated into Google Drive, but they recently separated the document creating apps (Docs and Sheets) from the Drive app. So if you want to create spreadsheets on your device, make sure you install Google Sheets from Google Play as well.

If you open Google Docs directly, then tap the "+" button at the upper right to create a document.