Duplicated app shortcuts

vasilealupei

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a HUAWEI G510-0100 with Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
I started having some problems lately with the operating system (I think)
Two days ago I noticed that after I installed some apps or games from the Play Store, the icons were duplicated (this happened with 3 or 4 apps so far bot not with all). On my phone I don't have a classic home screen with pages for widgets and a sepparate folder for all the apps. It's all "horizontal" in the sense that the apps and widgets and such are all in the same screen. So when I install something, the .exe is placed on the last screen, where available. But with this problem I've been having, another one appears on the first (main) screen.
Both icons open the app in the exact same way and if I delete either one of them, the app is uninstalled and the other icon doesn't work anymore. I don't have any other options to change the app apart from deleting (uninstalling) it. I tried rebooting the phone but the issue persists.
About the same time, my home screen loads quite slow after exiting an app or I exit standby mode. I only have 512 MB RAM so I don't have unreasonable expectations but it used to run reasonably smooth. I have an antivirus installed and I run periodic checks and keep it updated and I haven't had any problems with this. I really don't know how to approach this problem. Could these 2 misbehaviours be related?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you say you don't have a classic home screen, do you mean you have a 3rd party launcher installed? Or is this Huawei's own homescreen interface? It sounds like whatever launcher you're using is glitching.

Are you sure the launcher isn't combining homescreens with the App Drawer? So in other words, the screens all the way to the left are actually the App Drawer, while the screens all the way to the right are actually homescreens? You could test it out by trying to remove some of these icons. Long press one, then drag it to the Remove area. If it asks you if you want to uninstall the app, then that's the App Drawer. If it removes the icon without asking you anything, then that's the homescreen. There's a setting in the Google Play Store for automatically adding an app shortcut to the homescreen whenever you install something--try turning it off. Open Google Play, swipe in from the left, tap Settings, and then uncheck "Add icon to Home screen."

I'm not sure what you mean by the ".exe" being placed on the last screen--.exe files are Windows files, not Android. Do you just mean the app icon?

vasilealupei

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello, B.Diddy

Thanks for the reply. My Huawei uses their "Emotion UI" which came preinstalled.
I think I actually figured it out. There is no App Drawer, only plain, customizable screens with icons and widgets (you are right about the .exe, of course; I meant app icon), and I have the possibility to set any one of these as "main". So yeah, it's about the same as what you assumed.
So, after I installed some apps (not all), there was a duplicate icon in the "main" screen. I think that before, I moved the other duplicates to the other screens, so when I tried to delete either one of the icons, it uninstalled the app, leaving behind only the other inactive icon. But yesterday I deleted the copy directly from the "main" screen after installing an app and it just vanished, without asking about uninstalling.
This started about a week ago, so I still don't know where the glitch originated, but as long as I can manage this, it will be ok, for now. I will surely check the settings for Google Play, to see if I can fix it from there. And I will try to update the EmotionUI and maybe the OS, too, in the future.

Again, thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000