View Poll Results: Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

Voters
963. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they did.

282 29.28%
  • No but they advised that I do so.

166 17.24%
  • No they did not.

518 53.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
06-12-2014 05:46 PM
353 ... 56789 ...
tools
    1. Purchased an HTC EVO from Sprint as soon as the doors opened that day.
    2. The attendant immediately reccomeded and then promptly installed ATK.

I'm now using watchdog lite to kill only programs out of control!
    10-20-2010 01:06 AM
    My Droid Incredible was safe from Task killers since I purchased my device from VZW online. My buddy however was not so safe.

He just purchased his first smartphone/Android device last night. He picked up a Droid 2 in a Verizon corparate store. The woman who was getting him all set up did not let him leave before installing ATK. Smh
    10-20-2010 02:02 AM
    Verizon

Droid 2 / R2D2

Yes, they installed ATK.
    10-20-2010 02:42 AM
    1.) Sprint

2.) No.
    10-20-2010 02:55 AM
    Nope, the only thing he did is open up the box and turn on the phone for me. We were just chatting about the droid X since he had one too. I made sure that he knew I know more about androids then the average person and that I wasn't a complete nub.
    10-20-2010 02:56 AM
    Purchased my Droid X at a Verizon store.

When I picked up my phone (my first Android) the sales guy recommended it, but didn't install it.

A few days later I had a problem with my screen. I brought it back to the tech and the first thing she asked was if I was using a task killer. I said no and she promptly installed one. If fact, she said this is something they highly recommend and install for customers on all their Android phones.

When I mentioned that I had read that task killers were not such a great idea, she looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about.
    10-20-2010 05:55 AM
    Purchased my phone (Samsung Fascinate) at a Verizon Corp Store. I was told a Task Manager was absolutely necessary, and that the rep was going to install it for me. I asked the rep kindly to not and she obliged...however when I got outside and started playing with my phone...*sigh* she HAD installed it (Advanced Task Killer) and had it autokill every 30 mins.

Super...
    10-20-2010 06:54 AM
    I went into verizon with my D1 because I was unable to receive picture messages after a number port. They told me to wait 15-20 minutes while they tried to fix the port. When I came back the tech had installed Advanced Task Killer on my phone without me asking. I almost dove over the counter to smack him! How can you be a Tech and think that ATK is needed with anything over 1.6 or one of the crap low-end android os phones? RUNNING SERVICES HELLO!
    10-20-2010 07:02 AM
    Verizon and not mentioned.
    10-20-2010 07:10 AM
    Purchased my phone (Samsung Fascinate) at a Verizon Corp Store. I was told a Task Manager was absolutely necessary, and that the rep was going to install it for me. I asked the rep kindly to not and she obliged...however when I got outside and started playing with my phone...*sigh* she HAD installed it (Advanced Task Killer) and had it autokill every 30 mins.

Super...
    Verizon Online, so I took the easy route, no preinstall. Although I will say, if i take it to the store and they try that s$#t with me, I will be the one to walk back in and speak with a manager. I paid for the phone, and decide what applications go on and don't go on. Not them. Especially after asking not to install the app.
    10-20-2010 07:19 AM
    1) Sprint, Evo bought through Best Buy
    2) Sort of. Returned epic for Evo, and when I complained of epic battery life, the salesman took the epic and showed me where to find task killer from the market app.
    10-20-2010 07:34 AM
    Verizon

Nope, our guys don't suggest them. We are corporate customers so next time I'm in the store I'll ask their policy. Should be able to get a straight answer out of them and if they do push them maybe a reason they think it's beneficial.

VZW already installed lots of stuff that I don't want so I'm not too upset if they put a task killer on. At least I can take it off without rooting.

The fact that task killers don't come pre-installed is indicative of the fact that the smart people who know Android at VZW corporate know they aren't beneficial.

Task killers DO some times make your phone faster, but so does a reboot. I think the reps just put them on for the placebo affect for the customer more than anything. They think it's better.

Watchdog is where it's at though. That'll identify the problem apps and then you can just uninstall it.

Although the Social Networking app on my DX regularly pegs over 40% CPU and I can't uninstall that, thanks VZW.
    10-20-2010 07:41 AM
    1. I bought my droid2 from vzw, via best buy

2. The rep installed a task killer
    10-20-2010 07:48 AM
    Bought my Evo at a corporate Sprint store. They made no mention of a task killer
    10-20-2010 08:14 AM
    1) Sprint

2) No they didn't mention it. I don't think the salesman knew anything about android. I definately knew more about the Epic than he did.
    10-20-2010 08:37 AM
    With my purchase of the original Droid from Verizon, I was told that a Task Killer app should be installed.
    10-20-2010 08:52 AM
    cappy at At&t store and made no mention of it
    10-20-2010 08:53 AM
    1) Sprint.
    2) yes they installed
    10-20-2010 08:57 AM
    Verizon.

Purchased Droid X online. Went to store to get extended battery. Oh-so-helpful sales rep (eye roll) said that I would "about double" my battery life if I installed ATK and offered to do it for me while I waited. Thanks, but no thanks.

Relative also bought X online - went to Verizon store to get help transferring contacts or something - they installed ATK without her knowledge. She deleted it at my suggestion.
    10-20-2010 09:00 AM
    1. Droid X on Verizon

2. No the rep didn't install or even mention a task killer or any other software
    10-20-2010 09:05 AM
    1. Verizon

2. The Verizon Rep installed ATK on my phone, and my son's phone, during the activation process.
    10-20-2010 09:07 AM
    1 - Sprint

2 - They heavily recommended it to help save battery life.
    10-20-2010 09:12 AM
    Bought my Fascinate online but went into the store to buy a case. Rep told me I should install a task killer and offered to do so for me. I declined and informed her of the error in her ways. She didn't get it...
    Garett85 likes this.
    10-20-2010 09:12 AM
    1. I bought at one of the Wireless Zones from Verizon (Fascinate)

2. Rep actually advised me to NOT install it, and sent me to this website
    10-20-2010 09:31 AM
    I purchased my Droid Incredible over the phone through Verizon.
    I do not remember hearing anything about installing a task killer.
    10-20-2010 09:36 AM
353 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD