Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

• Total voters

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
1) Sprint

2) Nope, no mention ( I told them that I am an android enthusiast and they knew right away... not to mess ;p )

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Highwaystar131

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
When I purchased my first Android phone, it was a Samsung Moment from a Sprint kiosk at the mall. The guy installed ATK while he was setting up the phone and told me to use it every so often.

My last two phones (Thunderbolt and Droid DNA) were purchased from a Verizon corporate store and they made no mention of task managers or app killers.

socratesman

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
1. Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T
2. Yes (Advanced Task Killer)
3. Some store reps just don't know what to tell customers or just don't want to see you again. If you are running ICS or newer you do not need a task killer. I don't think you need one with Gingerbread either but that may be up for debate.

campbellc1052

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
AT&T

Samsung Captivate
Galaxy S2
Galaxy S3

No mention or installation of anything for either phone, the rep started it up and made sure it was working before she gave it to me.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not even sure anymore why we need, or want reps to start our phones for us. The last 4 devices I have purchased have been online. I receive them delivered to me via FedEx. Then I install the micro sim, and activate the phone myself. It isn't that difficult.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile didn't attempt to install anything without asking...however when I had MMS problems they attempted to Factory Reset my device without asking which IMO is way worse!

Thankfully though, I protect my Settings so they weren't able to. All they saw was a "Force Close" dialog when attempting to access the Settings.

This type of thing is inexcusable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile didn't attempt to install anything without asking...however when I had MMS problems they attempted to Factory Reset my device without asking which IMO is way worse!

Thankfully though, I protect my Settings so they weren't able to. All they saw was a "Force Close" dialog when attempting to access the Settings.

This type of thing is inexcusable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I would flip out on a rep if they tried to do a factory reset without permission

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Verizon wireless, two droid dnas with one later sent back for a note 2. No mention of an advanced task killer. I would be extremely angry to find something downloaded to my phone without my consent.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Yea... I'd never put that junk on a customers phone. Task killers became useless after 1.6

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RP74

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Sprint, Galaxy Note 2

No mention of it.

I'm interested to see that in the last three years or so since I had an Android, Task Killers seem to be perceived by many as no longer needed. I installed one myself, remembering that it was a huge help with my HTC Evo in 2009 (or 2010?). Maybe I don't need it, after all! I'll check out some other threads.

RODEONan

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
We didn't go to one of the 'big sotres' we went to Viaero. When my son and I both got the Alcatel One Touch, the guy walked us through and got us both set up with Antivirus - AVG, which came with ATK. However, when we both went back and switched from the Alcatel One Touch to the Samsung Galxey S2's, nada. We had to do it ourselves.

ag95keri

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy SIII purchased at AT&T store

Sales person didn't mention purchasing a task manager, & I would have laughed if she did. For the SIII it's too easy to use the built in task manager. However, I must admit that I REALLY miss the ease of closing apps with the WebOS gestures. Nothing on Android or IOS even comes close to ease of use there ... two swipes of the finger kills any app. I wish Android would do something similar. It makes no difference if it's the built in task manager or some 3rd party nonsense, having to open a task manager every time you want to close an app is not an elegant solution. In fact it's the opposite, clumsy and bothersome, like they just forgot to include an application exit and task manager is the awkward workaround.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton