11-02-2010 10:40 AM
35 12
tools
    This is pointing at you Amazon, Verizon and Vodafone.

we need 1 centralized app store where it's easy to find apps, not 4-5 or more convoluted greedy app stores.

I see them as creating an app store purely on greed.

I see Android becoming a huge frustrating headache for us as end users if there's 4 stores to choose from.

I also see Android as becoming a huge frustrating headache for developers wondering where they should put their app... on Googles? Amazons? Verizons? what % profit do they all make? Devs who put on all 4-5 now have to maintain updates on all 4-5.. this is asinine.

Google needs to really stop this from happening and put SOME restrictions on the OS, and quickly.

Look at what happened to Windows Mobile and all the app stores.. Windows Mobile who?
    10-19-2010 04:40 PM
    I agree 100%.... they're going to ruin Android. Sure we don't want it simple like Apple, but we don't need the app store to be a headache. More importantly we don't wants to discourage developers with this mess.
    10-19-2010 05:05 PM
    What we need, is 1 centralized Google Marketplace, with each vendor being setup as a "Shop"

go to the market, see separate "shops" inside the market where you can get all their offerings.

MAKE IT SO GOOGLE. DON'T LET THESE COMPANIES RUIN ANDROID.
    gtricecakes likes this.
    10-19-2010 05:08 PM
    What we need, is 1 centralized Google Marketplace, with each vendor being setup as a "Shop"

go to the market, see separate "shops" inside the market where you can get all their offerings.

MAKE IT SO GOOGLE. DON'T LET THESE COMPANIES RUIN ANDROID.
    Freaking love it.
    10-19-2010 08:09 PM
    Hrm, kinda like amazon...

food for thought?
    10-20-2010 12:05 AM
    I doubt this will "ruin Android". If users only want 1 market then let the best survive.

Google needs to really stop this from happening and put SOME restrictions on the OS, and quickly.
    If you want a restricted OS there's a company named after some fruit that you should check into. Openness is the point of Android. Choice is always good and it tends to encourage competition, innovation, etc.
    10-20-2010 08:09 AM
    Well, as it stands now, the Google Market is an absolute mess unless you more or less know exactly what you want.

I wouldn't necessarily mind going to different places that have different strengths and weaknesses.
    10-20-2010 11:32 AM
    the thing is though.. is how are AT&T users going to get on the Verizon store? what if a dev decides to only release an app on that store and locks out all AT&T customers?

It's just a whole mess of lose/lose for everyone.
    10-20-2010 11:59 AM
    This is my personal opinion, not something everyone needs to agree upon.

Do I want only one store to buy clothes from? Do I want only one place to buy gas from? Do I want only one store to buy computers from?

Of course not because choice gets limited and prices tend to go up. So, why would I want only one store to buy apps from?

I know it makes things simple. I know sometimes a person will choose only one store to buy certain products from.... but the key word is CHOOSE. I like that I can choose what stores to go to. Out of habit and positive customer experience there are some stores I visit all of the time for certain products while somebody else may go elsewhere. It is about preference.
    10-20-2010 08:38 PM
    My concern would be with carriers and exclusivity deals. What's to stop Verizon from rigging the phone so that it only works with their market (just like the way they locked some of their phones to only work with Bing services versus Google services)? Or some other carrier locking the phone to only work with Amazon (because of some deal they made)?

I don't really care if others decide to create their own stores, but I do care if those stores are rammed down our throats and made the only choice on a given phone (without rooting and custom ROM workarounds).
    10-20-2010 09:06 PM
    My concern would be with carriers and exclusivity deals. What's to stop Verizon from rigging the phone so that it only works with their market (just like the way they locked some of their phones to only work with Bing services versus Google services)? Or some other carrier locking the phone to only work with Amazon (because of some deal they made)?

I don't really care if others decide to create their own stores, but I do care if those stores are rammed down our throats and made the only choice on a given phone (without rooting and custom ROM workarounds).
    I doubt that would happen. Carriers would lose customers if they were to do that, and they know it.
    10-20-2010 09:20 PM
    I doubt that would happen. Carriers would lose customers if they were to do that, and they know it.
    Didn't stop Verizon from getting in bed with Microsoft and Bing (locking out Google services). Keep in mind that the vast majority of customers have yet to buy a smartphone. They wouldn't know what they were missing. They wouldn't know to look for the Android Market and would blindly accept the "Verizon Market" thinking that was all there was to the Android app marketplace.

I don't think they would lose customers over it, but they would anger customers like us that know better. That might be an "acceptable loss" to their bean-counters, since we smartphone "geeks" make up only a small percentage of their overall users.

Just something to ponder.
    10-20-2010 09:33 PM

Do I want only one store to buy clothes from? Do I want only one place to buy gas from? Do I want only one store to buy computers from?

Of course not because choice gets limited and prices tend to go up. So, why would I want only one store to buy apps from?

I know it makes things simple. I know sometimes a person will choose only one store to buy certain products from.... but the key word is CHOOSE. I like that I can choose what stores to go to. Out of habit and positive customer experience there are some stores I visit all of the time for certain products while somebody else may go elsewhere. It is about preference.
    Imagine being in your car and ONLY having the option to buy from 1 clothing store. How is a Verizon app store going to appear on AT&T devices? It wont.

See my point?
    10-21-2010 10:20 AM

This really doesn't apply though because what you're describing is if there was only one developer of apps instead of 1 store.

I would much rather have a single central repository to get my apps from then having to dig through 4+ different ones to find the app I'm looking for because it may be on one but not others. It's not like you would get a different deal on the app at a different store, the price should be the same.

And like other people said, when new owners pick up a smartphone they are going to start looking for apps and get discouraged because they can't find what they are looking for since they are looking at the wrong store.

the one major downside that people see between iphone and droid is the market. That is just going to get compounded if there is multiple different markets.
    10-21-2010 01:00 PM
    I dont see a problem with multiple app stores. The thing is the way the Market is right now there is so much garbage u have to sort through to find something good and even that is a rare feat. I must say Blackberry App World wasnt the greatest but at least it had more categories, ratings, and it was much easier to do searches although the games werent that great. So far the only quality games I have played have been from emulators its pretty sad. I liked NFS Shift but I deleted it to make more room.
    10-21-2010 09:31 PM
    Imagine being in your car and ONLY having the option to buy from 1 clothing store. How is a Verizon app store going to appear on AT&T devices? It wont.

See my point?
    I see your point if all we were talking about were carrier stores, but Amazon was also mentioned in the op. If we have the Android Market, Amazon, and carrier stores... that is more choice. I agree it would be bad if Google dropped out and there were no other open stores.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    10-28-2010 11:14 PM
    This really doesn't apply though because what you're describing is if there was only one developer of apps instead of 1 store.

I would much rather have a single central repository to get my apps from then having to dig through 4+ different ones to find the app I'm looking for because it may be on one but not others. It's not like you would get a different deal on the app at a different store, the price should be the same.

And like other people said, when new owners pick up a smartphone they are going to start looking for apps and get discouraged because they can't find what they are looking for since they are looking at the wrong store.

the one major downside that people see between iphone and droid is the market. That is just going to get compounded if there is multiple different markets.
    No, I am not describing one developer... I am describing one store. If the only outlet for any developer was one store, they could dictate the amount they are willing to pay the developers (less money) and increase the amount they would charge the consumers as they would have no other real choice unless they want to change platform. Multiple stores could, let me stress could not would, increase the profit margins for developers and make better deals for the consumers.

The analogy of having to go to different stores for goods is something we do everyday. There have been many times I have gone to one store to find something they did not have and had to go to a competing store. I would rather have the choice that comes with options rather than whatever one store decides to give me.

Does having options frustrate people who are not used to it? Of course it does. Freedom and an open marketplace always do. But there are so many intelligent people out there that I am sure there will be a website or app that will let people do a search for what type of app they want and it will direct them to where it is offered just like travel and shopping sites online.

10-28-2010 11:23 PM
    Man you guys have been spoiled by "openness".. having multiple stores is a BAD idea and no one see's it as a bad idea.

What if Angry Birds, the most popular game available on Android was ONLY available on the T-Mobile store? Not the Google Marketplace, not the AT&T store, or the Verizon store or any other store for that matter.(using T-Mobile as an example..they haven't come out and said they are making a store yet however)

That would lock out everyone on other carriers, all AT&T users and will need hacking to get it to install, and all the other users will need to search the web for a hacked .apk; look at the AT&T Uverse app.. only available on AT&T devices.. this locks out all Verizon users who have AT&T Uverse.. STUPID MOVE AT&T.

1 store where EVERYTHING can be found. I(and I bet the majority of users), don't want to have to guess what app store will have a certain app.
    10-29-2010 10:05 AM
    I see your point if all we were talking about were carrier stores, but Amazon was also mentioned in the op. If we have the Android Market, Amazon, and carrier stores... that is more choice. I agree it would be bad if Google dropped out and there were no other open stores.

This isn't necessarily about "more choice".. in MOST situations, more choice is the obvious winner/answer..

in this specific instance, more choice is going to let the carriers do what they do best. **** the users off and confuse the hell out of them..
    10-29-2010 10:07 AM
    Man you guys have been spoiled by "openness".. having multiple stores is a BAD idea and no one see's it as a bad idea.
    By my count on this thread alone it is a dead heat for and against multiple stores
    so you are not alone is seeing it as a bad idea.

I have a PC and am used to buying my software from multiple sources. I used Palms for many years and am used to buying my programs from multiple sources. I enjoy music and am used to buying songs and albums from multiple sources. So, yes I am spoiled by openness. I have been using open systems my entire digital life, except for the use of my iPod Touch (which is an awesome device that I love).
    10-29-2010 07:26 PM
    I really only use one store anyhoo, Market Place /app brain. lol
    10-31-2010 11:03 AM
    What if Angry Birds, the most popular game available on Android was ONLY available on the T-Mobile store? Not the Google Marketplace, not the AT&T store, or the Verizon store or any other store for that matter.(using T-Mobile as an example..they haven't come out and said they are making a store yet however)

That would lock out everyone on other carriers, all AT&T users and will need hacking to get it to install, and all the other users will need to search the web for a hacked .apk; look at the AT&T Uverse app.. only available on AT&T devices.. this locks out all Verizon users who have AT&T Uverse.. STUPID MOVE AT&T.

1 store where EVERYTHING can be found. I(and I bet the majority of users), don't want to have to guess what app store will have a certain app.
    The flaw in your logic is the assumption that a developer would make the insanely bad decision to limit their apps to a smaller demographic. Any app worth it's merit would be marketed to the largest consumer base possible. If anything, you'll find most apps become available on multiple markets.

The only time you would see an app exclusive to a carrier's app market would be when the carrier themselves developed it to be used exclusively with their service (ie.. VZ Navigator for Verizon).

A definite upside to multiple markets is that some markets will make it a point to heavily monitor the apps they sell. The major downside of the Android Market is that anybody can put their apps up there, and will reside there for quite some time before somebody notices that a particular app is malicious.
    10-31-2010 01:32 PM
    The flaw in your logic is the assumption that a developer would make the insanely bad decision to limit their apps to a smaller demographic. Any app worth it's merit would be marketed to the largest consumer base possible. If anything, you'll find most apps become available on multiple markets.

The only time you would see an app exclusive to a carrier's app market would be when the carrier themselves developed it to be used exclusively with their service (ie.. VZ Navigator for Verizon).

A definite upside to multiple markets is that some markets will make it a point to heavily monitor the apps they sell. The major downside of the Android Market is that anybody can put their apps up there, and will reside there for quite some time before somebody notices that a particular app is malicious.
    There's no flaw here. If a dev wants to open his app to multiple "markets" why aren't the VAST majority of the great apps on the iPhone app store on the Android Market?
    10-31-2010 08:02 PM
    There's no flaw here. If a dev wants to open his app to multiple "markets" why aren't the VAST majority of the great apps on the iPhone app store on the Android Market?
    Really? iPhone apps aren't in the Android Market? Of course not. Do you really not see the difference here?
    10-31-2010 10:15 PM

You're assuming that the decision to have an app available on all markets is left solely to the developer. The potential problem is that the carriers have a bad habit of striking exclusivity deals in order to differentiate themselves.

They do it with phone manufacturers all the time. What's to stop carriers from saying "If you want your app in OUR market then you can't publish it anywhere else."? If you want examples of this in action, look at the game console market. It already happens there. Certain games simply aren't available on other platforms because of exclusivity deals, not because of technical limitations or lack of interest on the part of developers.
    11-01-2010 01:16 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD