Hiding Google Hangouts Message From Notifications Bar

Noob Cydroid

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible? What I mean is, Google Hangouts basically shows the incoming message in the notification bar if your phone is already awake. So if I'm showing someone something on my phone and a message comes in, they can read it at the top of my screen. I'd like to be able to disable this, but keep the notification sound.

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible? What I mean is, Google Hangouts basically shows the incoming message in the notification bar if your phone is already awake. So if I'm showing someone something on my phone and a message comes in, they can read it at the top of my screen. I'd like to be able to disable this, but keep the notification sound.

Thanks!

What device do you have?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this can be done yet. I agree, the option of a preview would be nice.

Signed, a Nexus 5, AC forums app, and Android L.

Dan Dascalescu

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Here's how to hide the notification preview

As of Android Marshmallow, you can control notification previews via Settings -> Notifications -> Advanced -> Hangouts -> Preview in Popups.

In Android Nougat, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Hangouts, and check "Show silently".

Rob V2

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Re: Here's how to hide the notification preview

As of Android Marshmallow, you can control notification previews via Settings -> Notifications -> Advanced -> Hangouts -> Preview in Popups.

In Android Nougat, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Hangouts, and check "Show silently".

Nougat was a step backwards for hangouts. Marshmallow, I could disable the preview in popups and still get the sound. Exactly what I was looking for. After the upgrade the Nougat, that option was gone and Show Silently was now there. Show Silently give no popups (yea!!) but also gives no sound (booo!!!)

Kind of sucks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca