I want to use Swype on my EVO. I downloaded droid.swype.beta (com.swype,android.inputmethod). When I go to use it...first it tells me that there is a screen resolution problem. It says ...screen size 480x800 ..... Contact Swype about this issue......huh?

Then it says the trial period has expired. Can someone provide clear instructions how to get this Swype working.

Thanks in advance....Mike
    10-20-2010 09:31 PM
    Unfortunately, SWYPE's business model (as I understand it) is based on getting manufacturers to install the keyboard in their phones, not on dealing with individual customers. I believe they've made this work with the Droid X and another phone or two. SWYPE has had at least two "invitation only" beta releases where they made a beta release available to those who requested it (that was all you had to do to get an invitation). As I understand it, the beta was pretty well locked down to an individual email address and specific phone, I've had to reinstall it a couple of times and it was a minor nuisance to do so, even as a legitimate user. They also seem to have their betas expire after a certain period, usually when they have a new release they want to test. I'm sure it can be hacked, but I don't know how, and I'm sure the mods don't want it discussed. Unless SWYPE is doing another round of invitations for beta that I haven't heard about, I think you are out of luck till (if) they decide to do it again.

For what it is worth, a recent update "broke" SWYPE in the eyes of many people, including myself....I _LOVED_ the keyboard originally, but have stopped using it in frustration. I'm using SwiftKey now. Not as nifty as SWYPE when it works, but not as frustrating to "fight", either. SwiftKey doesn't use the dragging feature that may have attracted you to SWYPE. I have heard that a keyboard called SlideIT has a similar finger-dragging interface to SWYPE, but I have no experience with it.

I'm just the messenger here, reporting what I've seen and read, SWYPE's business plan isn't my idea.
    10-20-2010 10:57 PM
    Recommend ultra keyboard as an alternative, it cost 2.79 but it has a free trial version...it has lots of features, highly customizable and it like three keyboards in one.
    10-21-2010 05:45 AM
    Can someone provide clear instructions how to get this Swype working.
    Instructions are available from Swype if you're in the beta.

Unfortunately, SWYPE's business model (as I understand it) is based on getting manufacturers to install the keyboard in their phones, not on dealing with individual customers.
    People keep griping about this but Swype really doesn't have the capacity to deal with support directly (or so they claim). It's better to not be able to have Swype rather than not have proper support. That was a huge complaint with the Nexus One. How soon we forget...
    10-21-2010 08:20 AM
    To be honest, look around on the internet and look for the Swype APK, you will find it out there. Make sure you have the program Astro loaded onto your phone (get this from the market) and just side load the Swype APK that you download from the internet. Android Central doesnt allow us to put links on here for the Swype APK but I know you can find it through google pretty easily. Just load it onto your phone and open it through Astro and you should be ready to go!
    10-21-2010 08:35 AM
    To be honest, look around on the internet and look for the Swype APK, you will find it out there. Make sure you have the program Astro loaded onto your phone (get this from the market) and just side load the Swype APK that you download from the internet. Android Central doesnt allow us to put links on here for the Swype APK but I know you can find it through google pretty easily. Just load it onto your phone and open it through Astro and you should be ready to go!
    perhaps I'm breaking a rule here (I'm sure the mods will let me know) but i like the site everythingevo.net . . .
    10-21-2010 11:51 AM
    perhaps I'm breaking a rule here (I'm sure the mods will let me know) but i like the site everythingevo.net . . .
    *Cough* Yeah. Let's what that, shall we? In the meantime, let's all read this post again, please: Policy Regarding Swype & Software Hack Threads
    10-22-2010 10:18 PM
    I'm cutting this thread off right here. Continue the conversation somewhere else. NO TALKING ABOUT SWYPE APKs. Closing right now.

I know that not all of you guys are breaking a rule about discussing Swype apks, so instead of reviewing the situation, I'll close the thread and if you want alternatives, then that's fine. Either search or ask for any alternatives.
    10-22-2010 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD