I have tried a few keyboards, and definitely prefer those that use a swype method. The real swype is not available. The other ones I have tried were trials that expired. I also tried a few with better prediction, and I liked them as well, but again, only trial versions.

I'm not 100% thrilled with any of them and really want to try swype before I hunker down and purchase something. But I also really don't like the stock keyboard.

Are their any keyboards out there that are better than the stock one, and are still free?
    10-22-2010 10:53 AM
    I use ShapeWriter keyboard. It is free and works just like Swype. I've never had any problems with it.
    10-22-2010 11:20 AM
    it may not be free but the trial also is not limited. Smartkeyboard Pro has been the best I've used so far next to swype when i had my fascinate
    10-22-2010 11:34 AM
    I'm using SwiftKey and like it, though am not passionate about it. It's not free but keyboard is such a major part of user experience that I'm willing to pay a few bucks.
    10-22-2010 12:02 PM
    See the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Keyboards section for details on several of the most popular keyboards with links to video reviews.

In particular check out these:
    SwiftKey Keyboard - Learns how you think and predicts your words saving keystrokes. $4. Free Trial.
    Better Keyboard - Great if you are new. Set "Show touch points" ON. $3.

Your keyboard is the one app you will constantly be using. Make sure that you get one with great voice to text and great predictive text. Right now, I am absolutely the fastest on SwiftKey.

It is a few bucks for a Big Mac or a great keyboard. Both will stay both you longer than you think. Go with the keyboard.
    10-22-2010 12:37 PM
    I use ShapeWriter keyboard. It is free and works just like Swype. I've never had any problems with it.
    Shapewriter is no longer available. Just like the Swype beta. I missed out on both of those.
    10-22-2010 02:01 PM
    10-22-2010 03:13 PM
    Shapewriter is no longer available. Just like the Swype beta. I missed out on both of those.
    That sucks. I love that software. Use it all the time. You might try a Google search for the apk. Could be posted somewhere.
    10-22-2010 04:21 PM
    i would highly recommended smartkeyboard pro. it works great and it hasnt crashed.. ever.. there are frequent updates and a pretty good amount of skins to choose from.
    swiftkey is nice but for some reason it force closes ALOT. i did only have the trial but it made me a little leary about buying the full version.
    10-22-2010 11:15 PM
    you can try ultra keyboard free for 24 for hours...it has swipe capabilities and is very customizable...after 24 hours it is 2.79 I think...which is not a whole lot...a lot cheaper and more customizable than slide it...and it does not expire.
    10-24-2010 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD