Best Text Messaging Application

Ramenstien

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone knew some of the best text messaging applications on the market. I am not completely sure if this is where I should put this, but if it isn't then I am sorry.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Ramenstien

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My favorite is Handcent. Very customizable and I love the pop-up for new messages. Others like ChompSMS.

Oh I see. Well I have used Handcent and it is the one I am using right now. What is the pop-up for new messages? I might know what you are talking about buy I'm not completely sure.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
+1 for Handcent

The pop up setting brings up a "pop-up" box in front of everything (any app you are in" with the text. It's similar to what iPhones do. Turn it on it the settings to give it a try. I've used it and it's very nice but I prefer to leave it off.

If you are using Handcent but asking this question what is it you are looking for? Handcent (in my opinion) is the best text app but considering you are using it and asking this question what features are you looking for?

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I still prefer the stock messaging app, mostly because I don't like the comic book bubbles that the big two, Chomp and Handcent, use. That said, Chomp has a real nice widget, and I wish that there was something like that for the stock messaging app.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Since I have transferred over to using google voice full time its the one thing I miss about the messaging apps. I don't like the way voice handles threaded messaging, with a new thread for that person every day. I really miss the pop ups on handcent. I wish google open up their sdk so people could develop on it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
I still prefer the stock messaging app, mostly because I don't like the comic book bubbles that the big two, Chomp and Handcent, use. That said, Chomp has a real nice widget, and I wish that there was something like that for the stock messaging app.

That can be changed. Handcent can be configured to look just like the stock messaging app.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I love the stock messaging app on my epic. If handcent can be configured to look just like my stock app then what would be the point of downloading a 2nd app. Is there another reason (features) that make it better?

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
That can be changed. Handcent can be configured to look just like the stock messaging app.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

Ehh... even then, I look at all the extra features it has and say "I don't need these. And I really don't need a replacement for the LauncherPro messaging widget anymore now that I found a reasonable one."
I'm happy with stock.

aiverson23

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Not saying it happens for everyone. But I had a problem with Handcent receiving picture messages. I would have never known until a girl asked me if I got her picture. Because what it would do is make the notification noise, then try to automatically download the picture, but then when it failed it would go away and if I never watched my phone go through this process it would just make it seem like my phone made the notification sound randomly because there would be no icon or anything to let me know I ever had a new message.

Ive moved to Chomp and never had the problem since. But if ppl send you pic messages I would test it out with a friend to make sure you are receiving them correctly. Cuz like I said I would have never known anything was wrong unless I had someone tell me they were sending me a pic and then watching my phone go through the process of trying to receive it and failing.

Parnelli98

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Another +1 for Handcent. I have not had a problem using it, and I like the way I can customize notification sounds to each person I text with. That way I know for sure who just sent me the latest text without having to touch my phone!

Hooligan76

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
i had crunch sms on my blackberry and just found out that it is available in the android market. it's well worth the download from my views. i haven't used the others but will check into them at one point or another just to know if i have the best or not.

Hooligan76

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
i had crunch sms on my blackberry and just found out that it is available in the android market. it's well worth the download from my views. i haven't used the others but will check into them at one point or another just to know if i have the best or not.

Well i gave handset sms a try and love it. The widget is great for quickly getting through lots of messages. thanks for the recommendations to those using handset, it was because of your mentions that i gave it a try.

Captivate me

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I started out using Handcent, but did't like that I couldn't forward messages...or at least I couldn't figure out how to. I too used crunch sms on my BB and loved it. Good to know its in the market, I will give it a go.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the stock messenger with the SMS Popup app. I have issues, although minor with both Handcent and Chomp. Chomp only has bubbles, which I am not a fan of, no droid style conversations. Handcent has that, but in landscape mode on my Epic, only a small part of the conversation is in view, due to the large border at top and text entry at botton. This is not an issue in verticle mode.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Since I have transferred over to using google voice full time its the one thing I miss about the messaging apps. I don't like the way voice handles threaded messaging, with a new thread for that person every day. I really miss the pop ups on handcent. I wish google open up their sdk so people could develop on it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Try SMS Popup if you want to have a popup text message. I use it with Handcent becuase I like the larger picture in the popup.

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Having been using Handscent since day 1 and had only one issue. Tried to send a photo and after it was resized it kept spinning trying to send. Determined there was a network problem at the time but could not get the app to stop trying to send the photo.

I was right by a Sprint store and they removed the battery but that did not stop the app from trying to send the photo (at least that is what it looked like). I had to clear all msg history for that person to fix.

Still a good app an no reason to change unless of course I need to forward a sms or mms to someone.

Doc

P.S.
Love the pop up as I keep the phone locked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12