Hi,

Am I right discovering that one cannot select and copy text in the native mail client (Motorola X, 2.2)? I can do this with K-9 and within other apps. I've tried switching keyboards (the two included, SwiftKey) to no avail.

Thank you.
    10-25-2010 03:52 PM
    Yeah you are correct. I always just go to gmail site on my phone if I ever need to copy text. Very inconvenient and makes no sense that the feature isn't available.
    10-25-2010 04:19 PM
    This has been a real pain in the ............... I do not feel it necessary to download K-9 or Maildroid just for this feature, so I have learned to just do without it. I sure hope they include it in future updates.
    10-25-2010 05:34 PM
    If you are on Froyo 2.2, open the email message, click menu button, select more, then pick "select text". Then drag your finger over the text you want to copy. When you lift your finger off the screen the text is copied to the clipboard.

I only use Gmail. Im not sure if this works with all other email accounts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    10-25-2010 06:27 PM
    If you are on Froyo 2.2, open the email message, click menu button, select more, then pick "select text". Then drag your finger over the text you want to copy. When you lift your finger off the screen the text is copied to the clipboard.

I only use Gmail. Im not sure if this works with all other email accounts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Hi,

More is not an option in that particular app. I do know to do it in others.

I realize my needing to use multiple accounts and types is probably not the norm but my work requires it.

Thank you.
    10-25-2010 08:39 PM
    go to Market and make sure you have downloaded the latest Gmail App.

Gmail - Android app on AppBrain

Latest version: 2.3 (for Android version 2.2 and higher)
    10-25-2010 09:04 PM
    go to Market and make sure you have downloaded the latest Gmail App.

Gmail - Android app on AppBrain

Latest version: 2.3 (for Android version 2.2 and higher)
    Thanks, but I've been there, done that.

I'm not talking about the gmail client but app called "email" installed with the system.

I'm pretty sure it's just not an option but wanted to make sure.

Thanks again.
    10-25-2010 09:35 PM
    The text select works on my Droid X w/ 2.2 BUT......it is not very user friendly. It does not use the native text select function that comes with the phone and is quite limited:
    There is no way to adjust the beginning point once you place your finger on the screen.
    No magnification to see where your end points are.
    No arrows on top and bottom to see above your finger tip.
    As soon as you lift your finger, it copies whatever you highlighted to the clipboard with out being able to preview or edit.
    The feature is buried a few screen taps deeper than it should be, rather than automatically there when you touch the on screen text.

VERY poorly done feature BUT a first step.
    10-27-2010 08:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD