Google Maps Real-Time Updating

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had any success with the Google Maps new feature of Real-Time Updating in Latitude? I've tried it and it doesn't seem to be any better than using regular Latitude. Thoughts?

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Froyo on Droid X. It does turn the border around the contact a "reddish" color, but the updates are no where near real time. It seems slower than regular latitude. On Saturday AM, it was 30 minutes behind updating my location on my wife's X (also Froyo). When I got home, I looked at her phone to see where it showed me. With real time activated, it showed were I was THIRTY minutes earlier.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've been experimenting some. From my phone I can activate real-time update and it makes her GPS turn on and pick up a location and returns me a GPS location for her. HOWEVER...if she's running Google Navigation, real-time update doesn't seem to do anything. In fact, it seems to stop updating altogether. Also, I click to real time update and she's stationary, it'll get a GPS location the first time and then it goes to cell tower accuracy after that.

Both of us are Droid X running 2.2. Both rooted only for Barnacle WiFi and DroCap.

I know it's beta, but it seems to be REALLY buggy. I really expect a little more from Google.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
More experimenting...
I was looking at a friend driving about 300 miles home. I click RTUpdate and it would give me about 3 gps updates quickly and then return to a cell location. The cell location was not updating though. I kept trying and it would keep doing the same thing. UPdate with about 3 GPS updates and then return to that same cell location that was now 100 miles behind them! THey were not using GMaps or navigation at all.

With GMaps or Navigation activated, RTUpdate still doesn't seem to work at all.

This is a great idea and has a lot of potential, but it has a LOT of work to be done to it before it's useful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463