02-02-2011 03:46 PM
393 ... 56789 ...
tools
    This is seriously decreasing the odds that I suggest the Droid Eris to my friends when they're looking for a new phone.

The developer is working as hard as he can to comply with HTC's C&D, and yet they don't seem to be able to realize this and pursue harassing him further.
    12-21-2009 02:14 AM
    I searched all over this weekend on the marketplace, and cant find beautifu widgets...wich to my dismay i read the article sayin the new one is out. ill pay for it, i just cant find it...lol any help?
    12-21-2009 08:19 AM
    the guy tweeted last night (maybe early AM?) that HTC asked him to take it down until they review the new version
    12-21-2009 08:20 AM
    the guy tweeted last night (maybe early AM?) that HTC asked him to take it down until they review the new version
    HTC is really starting to **** me off.
    12-21-2009 08:52 AM
    HTC is really starting to **** me off.
    Crazy, isn't it?
    12-21-2009 09:13 AM
    Its ridiculous. Guess they can't tell from the pics that he changed it already. I want to back this up but don't want to lose the old one. If they would atleast put out the Widgets we would not have this issue.
    12-21-2009 09:51 AM
    Its ridiculous. Guess they can't tell from the pics that he changed it already. I want to back this up but don't want to lose the old one. If they would atleast put out the Widgets we would not have this issue.
    What's even more crazy is why are they not going after the other developers of similar widgets? Does not make much sense.
    12-21-2009 09:56 AM
    Tama should release an update with the Droid font before he pulls it down. Someone sent him the font already. That would keep most happy till this gets resolved.
    12-21-2009 09:57 AM
    Tama should release an update with the Droid font before he pulls it down. Someone sent him the font already. That would keep most happy till this gets resolved.
    Oh it's pulled already... :o
    12-21-2009 10:05 AM
    That is such BS, he changed the HTC look and now its just an awesome widget that HTC probably thinks is taking away from their market since Sense UI is one of the only things that attracts people.

Dont take it out on this guy just because the HTC counterpart of android for verizon is inferior to the Droid.
    12-21-2009 10:39 AM
    I agree, I was gonna buy a HTC for my gf for christmas BUTTT now I will not promote their products. ESPECIALLY when they put out widgets for only the Eris and Hero. Might as well sue me too HTC because I am gonna badmouth your company and products whenever I get a chance, at least till something else pisses me off lol.
    12-21-2009 10:43 AM
    I agree, I was gonna buy a HTC for my gf for christmas BUTTT now I will not promote their products. ESPECIALLY when they put out widgets for only the Eris and Hero. Might as well sue me too HTC because I am gonna badmouth your company and products whenever I get a chance, at least till something else pisses me off lol.
    +1, I will not purchase an HTC product, and will down talk any app, or device they come out with.
    12-21-2009 10:53 AM
    I will never buy HTC.
    12-21-2009 11:09 AM
    Or maybe it's not the pretty pictures, but the code behind them that's in dispute.
    12-21-2009 05:09 PM
    Or maybe it's not the pretty pictures, but the code behind them that's in dispute.
    That doesn't explain why HTC doesn't go after all of the developers that put out similar widgets then?
    12-21-2009 05:47 PM
    Because the footprint their code has isn't the same as HTC's. HTC has seen something that leads them to believe their intellectual property has been used by an unauthorized person(s). Their copyright is for the images, animations, and the source code that drives them.

The images weren't the same.
    The animations weren't the same.
    Only one thing left.

The author of Beautiful Widgets didn't have to pull them if he didn't agree with the C&D letter. Then HTC would need to prove that their IP was stolen. He did pull them, so we are forced to assume that the developer has reason to believe that HTC could prove infringement of some sort.

Until the developer decides to share all the details, all we can do is speculate. I know if I had nothing to hide, I would tell HTC or any other version of "The Man" to feel free to prove to a court that I have stolen their IP, and for some reason the developer of Beautiful Widgets feels differently. When you have a 5 figure money maker, you don't roll over without a good reason IMO.
    12-21-2009 06:28 PM
    The thing is, the BW dev updated on such a constant and regular schedule, that it's hard to believe that he was simply ripping HTC's code. If that was the case, then I think we'd just see him updating the app a few days after HTC does and not really fixing bugs or things like that. But he didn't. Practically every morning, I got an update for BW.

I think he replied to the C&D and took down his app simply because he knew he couldn't afford the legal costs that would have come with ignoring the request.

Odds are, HTC went after BW because it was the only one AFAIK that was designed to look exactly like the weather widget. And it was integral to the app, not just a skin you could add.
    12-21-2009 07:00 PM
    gbhil, your logic does make sense but I think its easier to say "stick it to the man" then actually doing it when lawyers send you a possible suit. So I wouldnt rule out he/she got nervous/intimidated by a large corp trying to bully him. (I am thinking the same as you herki)
    12-21-2009 07:09 PM
    Unless he loses in the courts, there are no legal fees. I've been through it with Cisco. All I had to do was provide my source code to a 3rd party designated by the California court systems, and they went through it and gave their opinion to the judge and Cisco's attorney(s). Was said and done within a month, and Cisco retracted their demands. This is more common than you think.

You may very well be right, but in the months of November and December levelup made between $10,000.00 and $50,000.00 on the widgets. They are doing what they think will be necessary to make more profit as new Android handsets are released.

I have zero sympathy for either side when two closed source companies fight each other to see who can make the most cash. Some of the profits could have been set aside for legal requirements. Levelup either made the decision on their own and decided not to fight, or under the advice of a patent attorney. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the developers of the most popular application in the Android market walked away from potential hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of sales because they were sure they were right but didn't feel like fighting it out. If they were sure and had nothing to worry about, they would have won the case, and got a tidy sum for lost revenue and besmirchment of their good name in the process. I'm sure HTC's legal dept tosses out C&D letters every week...it's like fishing - if it looks like it's a good spot, try it and see what you get.
    12-21-2009 07:20 PM
    Very good point as well, you seem to know a lot more then I do and have more experience with this stuff so I will just agree with you lol. Whatever it is, I hope this app or type of app can get back on the market as it is a favorite and only makes the phone better.
    12-22-2009 02:48 AM
    Hello,

I am the author of Beautiful Widgets and would like to correct some of the things here. I never took the pictures from the HTC ROM, I re-designed everything myself, with photoshop, and I just tried to mimick their UI. I wrote all the code myself.

I decided not to fight because I am just an individual and I don't want to take any risks for my family. I am working with HTC to work around all of this, and they are reviewing the new version to make sure that they notice my code is different, and that the new user interface does not look like their.
    12-22-2009 03:10 AM
    Tama, I still don't understand why they have sent you a C&D but not others who have clearly mimicked HTC weather/clock widgets.
    12-22-2009 08:02 AM
    Hello,

I am the author of Beautiful Widgets and would like to correct some of the things here. I never took the pictures from the HTC ROM, I re-designed everything myself, with photoshop, and I just tried to mimick their UI. I wrote all the code myself.

I decided not to fight because I am just an individual and I don't want to take any risks for my family. I am working with HTC to work around all of this, and they are reviewing the new version to make sure that they notice my code is different, and that the new user interface does not look like their.
    Tama, thanks for clarifying. However, I already knew that based on your other work. FoxyRing and Touiteur look amazing and pretty much speak for themselves. We at Android Central believe you (well 99 % of us). Hope this gets resolved soon. Take care buddy.
    12-22-2009 08:14 AM
    Hello,

Tama,

Best of luck, we are all pulling for you!!

In the short time I have had your products your customer service and response to suggestions etc. have been second to none!!

P.S. Don't forget about Clockopedia when you get BW back on the market!

Dave
    12-22-2009 09:27 AM
    Once upon a time , a Hero Sense style Clock , an Android widget .."beautiful widgets"...history of this censorship..

htc sense widgets versus beautiful widgets censored and uncensored....

U NEED COMMUNICATION WE NEED INNOVATION ......
    12-22-2009 10:01 AM
393 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD