01-16-2012 07:41 PM
56 123
tools
    How do I explain it?

First: It's $1.58 in the market, no free trial.

Its NOT swype, not swiftkey, it's not... really a keyboard. Maybe I have to watch this tutorial like 15 more times. Maybe I need a refund. I've given a chance to most of these keyboards.. I just want the ability to change keyboards, like switching them automatically when I use them.

Portrait: Swype
    Landscape: Multitouch Keyboard
    Keyboard Open: Swiftkey/Multitouch Keyboard

Sounds sad right? I agree we should have just one keyboard..but a keyboard switcher would be the best thing instead of this app....

Opinions?
    11-02-2010 10:09 AM
    You bought it? I was hoping for free trail.
    It just seems one major block is learning where the letters are located.
    Is the app at least well made?
    11-02-2010 10:20 AM
    just bought it and starting to try it out.

It will take a bit getting used to the layout but I think it may actually be quite good.
    11-02-2010 10:51 AM
    I am looking for something as I have lost my swype touch lately. Even am considering a phone with a hard keyboard.. there just isn't one that is a true upgrade to my N1. It does seem the biggest issue I have is learning the location of the letters. I find that once I discover that, I could be using this keyboard primarily. I am going to force myself to use it for a week.
    I do like the gesture feature; I have a phrase I use a lot, so having that quickly drawn out is nice. I will have to come back and tell of my progress, but I will stick with it for now.
    The app is very smooth. It has a tutorial built into the app that helps with training. And, it locks other people out of using my phone, which is nice.
    But, it is well made, and works as shown. Just a steep learning curve to try and tackle.
    11-02-2010 11:42 AM
    So far it's pretty neat; however, how do you enter a space?
    11-02-2010 12:02 PM
    You tap the black circle in the center.

I don't think I could ever get used to this keyboard. It just seems like such an abstract method of entering text.

I'd like to time the developer(s) of this keyboard as they type out a full sentence. If they can type faster than me using Smart Keyboard Pro, I will eat my Evo for dinner.
    11-02-2010 12:29 PM
    Ok. So. I bit and took out my wallet.

Well made. But. Three -'s:

1. You have memorize the lay out of the letters, etc. I kept looking under the finger to see where the characters were.

2. You have to memorize a)how many spaces to go and b)which way (clockwise or counter-).

3. Word prediction wouldn't be a bad idea....at least I didn't see that option.
    11-02-2010 01:30 PM
    Is anyone else able to get the uppercase pressure threshold setting to work? I have a droid and despite changing the different pressure settings, I can't get the letter to be uppercase.
    11-02-2010 02:17 PM
    I just tried it on my evo & it is a major learning curve but once I memorize the patterns it will be a great option. Also this would be a great keyboard for the pre since that os requires swiping.
    11-02-2010 04:45 PM
    There's a major learning curve involved, but the idea, I think, is sound.

The developer has a good point: the QWERTY wasn't designed for small, on-screen keyboards. This has potential, and I'll probably keep it so I know when it is updated. I won't be abondoning my QWERTY keyboard yet, BUT this shows promise, and it is very innovative, to say the least.
    11-02-2010 06:25 PM
    I'll try it I suppose for no look typing situations... Is there a keyboard where we can just draw out the letters? Again I'm thinking for something where I can type without looking.
    11-02-2010 08:37 PM
    I'll try it I suppose for no look typing situations... Is there a keyboard where we can just draw out the letters? Again I'm thinking for something where I can type without looking.
    If you're familiar with ye olde PalmOS, Graffiti is almost what you're looking for.
    11-02-2010 09:05 PM
    I don't know that this will ever be quicker than a keyboard like Swype, or even the Android keyboard. I've been using this all day, and for the most part have memorized its layout, but still have trouble with consistent flow. The keyboard is certainly a challenge, and sort of fun to use, but again not as fun as Swype. I'm going to give it the rest of the week and then pass final judgment.
    11-02-2010 09:24 PM
    I bought it. It's dirt cheap and seems pretty interesting. I have on and off days with Swype. Some days I can bang out a quick text or email with little thought. Other days, it seems like Swype gets every damn word I try to put in completely wrong. On those days, I like having options. I've played around with 8pen so far and set up a few custom gestures. I think it's got real potential. Their assertion that it's intuitive is way off. Learning letter placement is going to be a real pain in the butt, but I figured out a regular keyboard, I'll figure out this one. I do think that it'll be a quick keyboard once the letters are learned and I've had some time using it. I think dedicating a week to using just that keyboard would really show how effective it is and how steep the learning curve is.
    11-02-2010 09:43 PM
    I tried it out. I love it. It makes a lot of sense. So it has a learning curve. What did you expect? Work with it. Train yourself. Practice making 'a' the 'b' then 'c' ...etc. learn the common simple words. Just do them over and over. Repetition is ALWAYS the key to these things. Keyboarding is just like doing scales on a musical instrument. If you want to get good set up a discipline to really aid your learning and apprehension of the device. You might especially love the write your own gestures feature. My weird initials is now a gesture that types out my name in full.
    Me? I'm in love with it.

CONS: the delete key deletes way too fast in the second stage PLUS it has been funky on occasion where it didn't stop (deleted everything). Desperately needs an undo key for that problem.
    11-03-2010 06:54 AM
    3. Word prediction wouldn't be a bad idea....at least I didn't see that option.
    goto android settings > Language and Keyboard > 8pen settings > Show suggestions.
    11-03-2010 07:06 AM
    One thing that I don't get is that they say it's more like handwriting opposed to typing.

I don't know about everyone else, but I can type several times faster than I can write, so I'm not sure how that's a positive description...
    mypie likes this.
    11-03-2010 12:37 PM
    One thing that I don't get is that they say it's more like handwriting opposed to typing.

I don't know about everyone else, but I can type several times faster than I can write, so I'm not sure how that's a positive description...
    I agree, I'm not sure how this really is helping. I'm not boo hooing the idea of this but its not going to "take the world by storm".

For me the fastest I can type is using swype followed by default keyboard in landscape view.
    11-03-2010 02:13 PM

this is true on a computer - but can you type on a touch screen phone faster than you can write? i sure as hell can't.

don't get me wrong - i'm sure there are LOTS of people out there who can, but i bet you're all younger than i am ;p
    moosepath likes this.
    11-03-2010 05:22 PM
    this is true on a computer - but can you type on a touch screen phone faster than you can write? i sure as hell can't.

don't get me wrong - i'm sure there are LOTS of people out there who can, but i bet you're all younger than i am ;p
    Definitely. It's a single tap to type a letter on a virtual keyboard, so I don't get where a tap + gesture (gesture + tap?) could possibly be faster.

Now factor in a keyboard like Swiftkey which can eliminate 15-20% of keystrokes, it's even faster.

I suppose the 8Pen could have an advantage if you must type with one hand, but for me personally, that occasion is far too rare to warrant an additional input method.
    DisplacedMic likes this.
    11-03-2010 07:12 PM
    I type with swype with one hand... If this keyboard beats a speed record I'll go back to learning it. Graffiti is easier and faster. I like speed though so I will stock to swype.

Still not as fast as I was with my bb keyboard. Deff faster with one hands though.
    11-03-2010 10:13 PM
    I think you have to go into it with the mindset that this is a fun, unique, innovative keyboard as opposed to a fast one. The design of this keyboard prevents it from being as quick as Swype, even if you disregard the learning curve (and yes, it's steep). So if that's the main thing you're looking for, you'll probably want to skip this one.

That being said, it is fun to use, gives your phone a truly unique feel, and with practice it does allow for a decent speed of input. I certainly rank it above the stock leyboard :-)
    11-03-2010 11:39 PM
    yeah...even with swiftkey i'm not faster typing on my phone than i can write. at least i dont think so.
    experiment time ;p
    brb

well what do you know... it's actually pretty close.
    god bless swiftkey!
    11-04-2010 01:21 PM
    I've been using it now since release and i'm pretty convinced it was worth buying. It's not as fast as two hand typing on the regular keyboard yet, but it's hard to beat for one-handed typing in portrait mode.

As another poster said, it would be nice to have a keyboard switcher so i can use swype in landscap and 8pen in portrait.
    11-04-2010 02:38 PM
    It's pretty cool but it's true that there is a HUGE learning curve. It has the potential to be faster than Swype after extensive use. The problem is with the learning curve and Swype being out there, it's a very hard sell.
    11-04-2010 03:13 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD