Handcent/Chomp Worthwhile?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have no real issues with the default messenger on my moto droid, but i hear a lot of buzz about how handcent sms or chomp sms are so much better. are they really such a leg up and why? btw, i am scared to try them out without hearing a little more about them, as a few of the comments complained of the app deleting their message cache randomly. and help would be appreciated

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i was in the same position as you, i feel the stock messaging app is quite good.

then i tried handcent and really like it.

the thing that i like most about it is the popup chat window, makes it so much faster to write quick replies to people. plus you can have different skins and change the led notification and a bunch of other things.

i haven't tried chomp, but i would recommend trying out handcent, it's free and easy to remove and go back to stock if you desire.

blkman969

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I too like the standard message app with my Hero but I can't add a signature to my text so I just added SMSPOPUP. It adds a sig when you do a reply with the popup. Like handcent it also lets you customize the ringtone per contact as well. I used CHOMP & HANDCENT and decided to use SMSPOPUP because I really didn't need all the customization and the amount of space it requires either.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I love handcent for all the customization options. Also, has built in beyond 160 split which is a plus. I think its definitely worth while.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hancent also has a speech to text option which is very nice if you "need" to text while driving or you are one of those who has a hard time typing on the virtual keyboard. You have to press Menu to access it, but it's pretty nice. You just have to speak in a very staccato fashion and very clearly. For free, it works pretty good!

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Hancent also has a speech to text option which is very nice if you "need" to text while driving or you are one of those who has a hard time typing on the virtual keyboard. You have to press Menu to access it, but it's pretty nice. You just have to speak in a very staccato fashion and very clearly. For free, it works pretty good!

i didn't know it did that! i'll try it next time :)

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Add another +1 to Handsent for me. I like the ability to have a custom photo in the background of each person and can also choose different themes and bubble types. A+ app. It's one I would gladly pay for.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the responses. i did end up getting handcent, and am enjoying it quite a bit. very convenient being able to have texts pop up on screen rather than have to navigate to them every time. the customize elements are a bonus

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm...interesting stuff. Is it more stable than the default messaging app? Every now and again my messaging app will force close every single time I try and open it forcing me to power down. Does handcent add any lag?

husker723#AC

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I am using handcent in part because I have read that it will save battery life if you disable the stock sms. Does anyone know how I would do this? Thank you.

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I am using handcent in part because I have read that it will save battery life if you disable the stock sms. Does anyone know how I would do this? Thank you.

if your on a hero and read that I believe that they have fixed that issue, i've never used the stock app, handcent was the first app I downloaded when I got my hero, well second maybe, may have downloaded pandora first.

I have a question about handcent though, where do you get other skins or themes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781