Facebook 1.4

braj

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm unimpressed but it is staying installed for the photo-uploads.

I personally wish Facebook would just work on the mobile version of the site to make it a great experience from any mobile browser, then make apps that work as back-ends for photo uploads and notifications. Since they have an open chat protocol people can happily use purpose-built apps like Trillian for chat. I think it would let Facebook focus more on a good user experience without a splayed-out feature set that is inconsistent depending on your platform. I feel like a neglected step-child on Android despite this update.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
They need to incorporate the Push notifications. Having to enable text messaging or e-mails for notifications is BS. The blackberry facebook app does this very well. why not spread the love??

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
They need to incorporate the Push notifications. Having to enable text messaging or e-mails for notifications is BS. The blackberry facebook app does this very well. why not spread the love??

RIM worked with Facebook to do this on the Blackberry platform. I've never heard of Google or any Android handset maker working specifically with Facebook for better integration. I agree that Blackberry notifications are the absolute best on any platform, just like the iphone app is the gold standard right now.

LOL it seems like Android gets no love from Facebook, even with Eric there.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
^ See above. Notifications open in the app now (and not the browser) but they are still missing (IMO) the most important ones, which are replies to your posts, or replies to posts you've commented on. Only notifications are Friend Requests, Event Invites, and Messages. Lame. Guess I still have to keep Bloo around just for notifications and chat.

Try Go!Chat for facebook chat, it has a nicer UI and has both a free (add) and paid (no add) version. I have not tried the multiplatform chat programs out there like beejive or ebuddy because I only use google chat and facebook chat.

I also spent the dollar something and bought F+ notifications. I was using Bloo 1.5 but found out the developer is taking a hiatus and will no longer be working on the application. F+ IMHO is better than Bloo and worth well worth the money.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
For people wanting push notifications, why don't you set everything up to email you when someone replies to a post, requests to be your friend, etc.?

That's the way I do it and so I've been getting notifications for a long time now.

Limjelo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
For people wanting push notifications, why don't you set everything up to email you when someone replies to a post, requests to be your friend, etc.?

That's the way I do it and so I've been getting notifications for a long time now.
Exactly the point everyone is trying to make. I do this but it forces you to use the touch site rather than the app. The app should do this.

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Why is FaceBook video functionality still zero? It's so very frustrating that it almost works, launches the video player and everything, and then gives you an error. Is is only certain devices that are having trouble with this? (Moto Droid 1 here.)

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What I do to make it easy to delete all of my email notifications is I applied a filter in GMail to automatically apply a label to all notifications from Facebook. I don't worry about the clutter, because once a week or so, I open up the label filter and delete all of the old notifications at once. It has been working for me just fine. So, in a sense, I do receive push notifications from Facebook, but you cannot launch the app from the email, not a big deal, but I am still disappointed that facebook has not given us real push notifications.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes, videos are quite annoying as well. So much room for improvement, but was happy to see an update so at least it's being worked on.

Hopefully it gets a lot better shortly.

DrSuSE

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to try F-Plus, but my credit card company and bank both block purchases from the UK. I emailed the dev to see if he wanted to do some sort of Paypal thing, but not sure it'd be worth it for him since distributing updates might be annoying.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I want it so that when i get an email from a facebook post, that when I click the link in the email, rather than opening Facebook web, why can't it open the Facebook App and go to the post?!?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I want it so that when i get an email from a facebook post, that when I click the link in the email, rather than opening Facebook web, why can't it open the Facebook App and go to the post?!?

Well, that makes sense that your email notifications do that, since it's an HTML link, which opens your browser

Also, you can be reading that email message on your phone, laptop, iPad, library computer, PC, desktop, work PC, in some cases your television, etc. No good way for email to know what device you are reading it on, which Facebook app(s) you have installed, which one you want to use, etc.

Which is why everyone wants push notifications for the app.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Well.. I wont name names, but there's "another" platform that when you open certain links, it opens the coorisponding app. :D

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Exactly the point everyone is trying to make. I do this but it forces you to use the touch site rather than the app. The app should do this.

It doesn't make me use the touch site. When I see an email notification, I open the app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15