Question about Google Hangouts

BigZman95

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking of switching to a Galaxy S5. Right now I have an iPhone 5S and iMessage is a necessity for me (poor reception at school and work). Also, my girlfriend does not get reception at her house AT ALL. The only reason I can text her is because of iMessage because she has wi-fi. My question is, if she is connected to wi-fi at her house and I send her an MMS from Google Hangouts, could she receive it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can use Hangouts to send two kinds of messages--a Hangout instant message (which can go over mobile data or wi-fi), or an SMS/MMS message (which goes over your cell or mobile data signal). If you use Hangouts to send an SMS or MMS message to your girlfriend, she probably won't receive it, since she has no reception. However, if you send her a Hangout instant message and her device is on wi-fi, then she will get that message. She would also get the message on her computer, if she is using Hangouts there. You can easily attach a photo to a Hangout instant message.

You may want to suggest to your girlfriend that she ask her wireless provider about a signal booster. If she has T-Mobile, she might be able to get one for free.

BigZman95

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
You can use Hangouts to send two kinds of messages--a Hangout instant message (which can go over mobile data or wi-fi), or an SMS/MMS message (which goes over your cell or mobile data signal). If you use Hangouts to send an SMS or MMS message to your girlfriend, she probably won't receive it, since she has no reception. However, if you send her a Hangout instant message and her device is on wi-fi, then she will get that message. She would also get the message on her computer, if she is using Hangouts there. You can easily attach a photo to a Hangout instant message.

You may want to suggest to your girlfriend that she ask her wireless provider about a signal booster. If she has T-Mobile, she might be able to get one for free.

But in order to get my message she would have to also be using Hangouts?

BigZman95

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Does she have an iPhone or an Android phone?

She has an iPhone. But I was looking for a way for her to just be able to use the pre-packaged messaging app and not have to download anything like Hangouts or Text+.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think there are any Android apps that are directly compatible with iMessage. What wireless service does she use? The signal booster idea might be helpful, so that you can send her SMS.

BigZman95

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think there are any Android apps that are directly compatible with iMessage. What wireless service does she use? The signal booster idea might be helpful, so that you can send her SMS.

We both have AT&T.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Tell her to call AT&T and ask for a signal booster. I'm not sure if they typically charge for it (T-Mobile doesn't), but if they do, she might be able to get them to waive the fee if she complains about how bad the service is at her house.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon