Facebook App for Android

johnnybz

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
So it's official, Facebook are launching an app especially for the Android market. What will be the first Android phone to launch with it, anyone know?

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
It's not great to be honest - it looks pretty, but lacks various things, there are no notifications (that I can see, although there is an option in the menus I think), and redirects you do the website far too often.

As far as I'm concerned though, Facebook is a website, not an application ... point your browser at m.facebook.com for the best mobile site (make sure you don't get redirected to the iPhone version (x.facebook.com) as that also lacks various things, like viewing and responding to comments on your status) that are good to have

Dave

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
It's not great to be honest - it looks pretty, but lacks various things, there are no notifications (that I can see, although there is an option in the menus I think), and redirects you do the website far too often.

As far as I'm concerned though, Facebook is a website, not an application ... point your browser at m.facebook.com for the best mobile site (make sure you don't get redirected to the iPhone version (x.facebook.com) as that also lacks various things, like viewing and responding to comments on your status) that are good to have

Dave

There are *notifications. At least options to turn them on in the settings. I've seen the FB "F" pop up in the alerts bar - perhaps that was not pushed. I didn't pay too much attention. I too noticed the lack of features. Even the new iPhone FB app is still lacking somethings I'd like to see added in the next release.

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Ah, OK - I see there are only notifications for Messages, Pokes, Friend Requests and Event Invites. I hardly ever get any of those so have never seen a notification.

Facebook seem quite happy to send SMSs and emails when receiving comments though so there's really no other notifications needed.

D

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Ah, OK - I see there are only notifications for Messages, Pokes, Friend Requests and Event Invites. I hardly ever get any of those so have never seen a notification.

Facebook seem quite happy to send SMSs and emails when receiving comments though so there's really no other notifications needed.

D

Yeah, I've since shut off the sms and email alerts. Too many alerts! :p

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Haha yeah that's reminded me I need to switch off one or the other - I don't need my phone beeping once with a new gmail and once with a new SMS for every update :)

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Putting your favourite contacts in the 'SMS Notification' group is useful though - you then get an SMS when one of those people posts a new status

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Putting your favourite contacts in the 'SMS Notification' group is useful though - you then get an SMS when one of those people posts a new status

While that would be nice for some. That would drive me absolutely insane with the amount of times people change their status.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Not to mention the SMS notifications take hours to be delivered sometimes. I'm personally in favor of an app doing all the leg work and notifications.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Not to mention the SMS notifications take hours to be delivered sometimes. I'm personally in favor of an app doing all the leg work and notifications.

I've yet to see any notifications take that long. Perhaps it's that verizon service of yours? :D

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I've just started using SMS notifications and they seem to come through pretty quickly - I get them before the GMail push notifies me of the email in the case where I'm getting duplicates.

This is in the UK though so it'll be using different service centres than the US.

Back to that subject - Facebook seem to have absolutely tons of customisation options for which notifications you get as email and which you get as SMS ... apart from those relating to comments on your own status - I'm still getting both SMS and email whenever someone comments and can't see an option to control this.

D

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I've just started using SMS notifications and they seem to come through pretty quickly - I get them before the GMail push notifies me of the email in the case where I'm getting duplicates.

This is in the UK though so it'll be using different service centres than the US.

Back to that subject - Facebook seem to have absolutely tons of customisation options for which notifications you get as email and which you get as SMS ... apart from those relating to comments on your own status - I'm still getting both SMS and email whenever someone comments and can't see an option to control this.

D

Same thing happened to me as well. What I did was went to the Facebook site and unchecked all check boxes and I now get no notifications. Then check the ones you want and it should be ok.

anjali_jain

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
If it's in the market, it'll first go to the first person to download it.

Is it just me or have they removed the skill to attach photos to an album? Tried uploading a photo and couldn't find the option to add the picture to a presented album. How could i do ?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers