How much data is consumed when using Sensorly?

blackwaterstout

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I've played around with Sensorly for a year now while on Sprint and never really thought about how much data was used since it was unlimited. I'm switching to Cricket now on ATT's network and since the data is limited now I'm curious how much data Sensorly actually uses for mapping? I'm sure the data can add up quickly if you are doing the speed tests but for the purpose of mapping 3G/4G signal strength I wouldn't think it would be that much. Does sensorly immediately upload point data while a person is driving around or is it uploaded at the end of the mapping trip? I'd guess the most data usage would be from downloading the maps as you drive around. It would be nice if Sensorly had an option to collect the data points while mapping but only upload the data when you were on Wifi.

I've heard that with a standard LTE connection that each Ookla Speedtest will use 15-25MB each time. Any idea how much data 1 hour of sensorly mapping might use?

I noticed that Sensorly had a large proportion of Sprint areas maps versus other carriers and I always attributed that to the unlimited data plans. When users from ATT/Ver/TMO have 2-3GB of data to work with most of them do not want to waste it on sensorly.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would guess a decent amount is used. It probably depends on some of the settings, but in order to test the signal, data has to be sent.

blackwaterstout

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I would guess a decent amount is used. It probably depends on some of the settings, but in order to test the signal, data has to be sent.

Testing signal strength uses data? Are you sure about that? I assumed Sensorly worked by logging the signal dbf reading at certain intervals. How would that use data? Speed tests I can understand but a phone is constantly monitoring signal strength just to show how many bars of service you have at any given time.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
If you go to settings, data usage you can select the period to analyse. Below the graph you can see the amount of data used by most apps and clicking on them more detailed information will be shown.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Testing signal strength uses data? Are you sure about that? I assumed Sensorly worked by logging the signal dbf reading at certain intervals. How would that use data? Speed tests I can understand but a phone is constantly monitoring signal strength just to show how many bars of service you have at any given time.

And in order to report that data to Sensorly's servers it has to use the internet.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is there an option to only upload data while on wifi?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thats what I asked about in the OP. Seems like if that option was available may make it more palatable to use for people with smaller data plans.

Probably not as it negates the reason for the app: mobile accounting of signal strength.

AdrienS

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
You have an option to request the app to send coverage data only when connected to a wifi network : the app will collect your signal info and store it on your phone until you're back on wifi.