I know this has been discussed before. I know this is a duplicate thread. But it doesn't seem to have been discussed since the most recent update, so I feel that a hearty

WTF?

is in order.

Facebook's most recent update supposedly brought a bunch of improvements, including (paraphrasing) "much-needed updates to the notification system." Well, where the hell are they!? My phone's been on all night. Nothing. I opened the facebook app. Nothing. I opened notifications. Nothing. I clicked refresh. FIVE NOTIFICATIONS. If I have to notify it I want my notifications every time, the system is still broken!

Now, I get that Facebook is not very important to every day life, and this rant may seem trivial to some. But it's also the only way my damn family communicates anymore. Nobody sends an email, it's all on FB now. So why would it be so hard to make it work like the BlackBerry app that never let me down? Something happens on Facebook, I get an email. Instead of showing up in my inbox, the FB app "intercepts" it, recognizes it as the appropriate notification, and pops up a little icon in my notification bar? I mean, is there REALLY something preventing them from doing this? Arg.

OK.... /rant
    11-10-2010 10:23 AM
    I have to notify it I want my notifications
    Haha this is great. And sad. I hate android fb integration too coming from blackberry
    11-10-2010 10:35 AM
    ...so I feel that a hearty WTF? is in order.
    Yah, I'm getting the sense that it's not the A-Team of Facebook developers working on their Android app. A while back I saw a list of "most worthless Android apps" and Facebook was on the list as being even less useful than just going to the web page.
    11-10-2010 10:43 AM
    No, it certainly isn't the A-Team. Also, the developer of Bloo removed his app from the market. I have the 1.5 beta apk, but it would be nice if he would open source the app like he said he would in July. Instead he posted that he was pulling Bloo One (The market app) and probably not releasing Bloo Two (Open Source). Fantastic.
    11-10-2010 12:18 PM
    It's not free but it's very cheap and well worth it for reliable and regular notifications (push coming soon too) but check out F+ notifications. I was using Bloo 1.5 beta but as stated, the developer will no longer be supporting it plus F+ is better.

I had the storm when it first came out and it took a few builds before the facebook app got to where it is now so I guess patience or F+ are our options.
    11-10-2010 12:31 PM
    No, it certainly isn't the A-Team. Also, the developer of Bloo removed his app from the market. I have the 1.5 beta apk, but it would be nice if he would open source the app like he said he would in July. Instead he posted that he was pulling Bloo One (The market app) and probably not releasing Bloo Two (Open Source). Fantastic.
    From my understanding, he removed it because facebook took out the way they authenticate third party apps (with the code) so he's stopping support because new users can't get the code. I was/am using bloo atm, but I probably won't continue to for long. And yes, I age, the facebook app is awful.. on top of the notifications, I can't get places to work most of the time either. I don't understand why they don't spend more time on it!
    11-10-2010 12:40 PM
    I got a code when I activated 1.5 this morning, and there is an update on his blog about it too:
    Update: Kate from the comments provided some instructions to get the 6 digit code! Thank you Kate!

1. In your browser, enter in http://m.facebook.com (this will bring up the mobile site)log-in to your facebook account.
    2. In the “Search” box at the BOTTOM of the page type in “Bloo for Android” and click on “Search”.
    3. Click on the application “Bloo for Android” (NOT the group).
    4. Then click on the button that says “Allow”. This will link your Facebook account with Bloo.
    5. Now, from your phone go to your Bloo application and click on “Get Code” and it should take you to the code page!
    6. Enjoy!

*Note* I used the m.facebook.com site directly from my PC, I didn’t try it on my phone… so if it doesn’t work on your phone, try it on your home computer.

I hope this helps out a lot of people!
    I hadn't heard of F+, I'll have to take a look. although this makes me nervous: "If you're having problems with no notifications, manually refresh. It should restart everything." I can do that now.
    11-10-2010 01:04 PM
    Plus one for Facebook app sucking on Android. Can't believe my Blackberry one was better. Come on Facebook!
    11-10-2010 02:13 PM
    I definitely agree with the fact that notifications aren't very great.

I've noticed that some still end up missing from the list, plus you don't get notifications in the notifications bar of the phone for comments and likes, which I'm sure many others besides myself would very much like. The best thing about the update was that notifications now open inside the app instead of opening the website.
    11-10-2010 08:30 PM
    I got a code when I activated 1.5 this morning, and there is an update on his blog about it too:

I hadn't heard of F+, I'll have to take a look. although this makes me nervous: "If you're having problems with no notifications, manually refresh. It should restart everything." I can do that now.
    I have never had a problem with F+ and have yet to have to use manual refresh. I purchased the app a few weeks ago and the developer already added picture uploading and places as well as minor bug fixes. He is working on push notifications now but with the option check for notifications every minute to daily, you hardly notice not getting instant notifications. I have mine set to every 15 minutes and to notify of birthdays every day at 9:00 am.
    11-11-2010 09:34 AM
    I actually believe this might have more to do with the API of Facebook, as I've seen this same issue (notifications simply not coming down the pipe) on a bunch of different programs, even on my PC.
    11-11-2010 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD