In almost every area, Android trumps iOS, but there is one significant advantage of iOS for families: you only have to pay ONCE for an app, then all of your family's phones/devices can use it. With Android, I have to pay for the app three times for myself, my wife and my daughter.

I know the reason is that each phone has a different account for purchases, but if they want to match iOS on this one, they could just let up to five accounts link together in a family for this purpose.

I believe in supporting developers (and regularly upgrade to a pay version solely for that purpose), but the advantage DOES go to iOS here.

So, an idea: why doesn't the Verizon store use this as a selling point, saying "hey, don't buy that app at the normal Android Market, use our app store and you can share it among all the phones in your family!"
    11-10-2010 04:29 PM
    You could always add one gmail account to all 3 phones. If you each use your own for email, just add multiple accounts and make the one for apps the primary one.
    Vance14 likes this.
    11-10-2010 05:55 PM
    That is not a bad workaround, if the "app" account being the primary (rather than the ones we primarily use for everything else) does not have any unintended consequences.
    11-11-2010 01:41 PM
    I don't think it does. I don't use gmail though, so I can't be sure.
    11-11-2010 02:04 PM
    It should work because i know when i activated my incredible and then turned on my droid to do a factory reset, everything was still there and i was able to use it on wifi to do things with the market and online.

The only downfall to this is that who ever has the primary gmail account will have their e-mails able to be viewed by whoever has the primary gmail account signed into their device. If that does not worry you then you should be good.
    11-11-2010 03:25 PM
    Yeah, Brett, that would be a problem. We would have to set up a "dummy" Gmail that will replace the "primary" gmail for all of us (each would have to have that one as the primary in order for it to be the one to get apps on, no?), and we would use our existing gmails as secondary ones. But, wait, if we all add our own emails as secondary gmails to the "dummy" primary one, then each of us would be able to see all of the other's emails. hmm, not sure.
    11-11-2010 07:09 PM
    is this really such a big deal given that most apps are free and many are like 99 cents? and each family member has different tastes anyway?

i think this "limitation" is already priced into the price of the apps given their extremely low or free pricing.

good luck.
    11-11-2010 08:09 PM
    I support the use it/pay for it disease. Easy to do, easy to remember and it always works.
    11-11-2010 09:39 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't applications on iOS also tied to a single iTunes account, and thus a single person as well?
    11-11-2010 10:57 PM
    A single iTunes account does not mean a single person. As a family, we have a number of iOS devices all associated with one account. Apple doesn't care who uses the devices, it just limits the number of devices associated with one iTunes account. Since it is not tied to emails, calendars, etc, there is no barrier to different persons using those five devices. But with Android it is different, due to the personal data.

The bottom line is that Apple knows and accepts that people within a family will only purchase each app once, but it will be used on all the devices.
    11-12-2010 06:37 PM
    I doubt Apple had that in mind when they tied it in like that. iTunes was Apple's only account using business...no email to tie things in to. Google had Gmail, and nothing else, so they used that. One having personal data and one not was probably just a coincidence.
    11-12-2010 07:34 PM
    A single iTunes account does not mean a single person. As a family, we have a number of iOS devices all associated with one account. Apple doesn't care who uses the devices, it just limits the number of devices associated with one iTunes account. Since it is not tied to emails, calendars, etc, there is no barrier to different persons using those five devices. But with Android it is different, due to the personal data.

The bottom line is that Apple knows and accepts that people within a family will only purchase each app once, but it will be used on all the devices.
    Uh, yeah, I am about 103% sure that Apple didn't intend for people to use one iTunes account for the entire family. And I'm also rather sure most people don't use it that way (it'd be a liability, kids buying apps using the parent's card without asking, etc?).

There's a reason you put a name on the account, and it's not just for billing.
    11-13-2010 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD