What are must have apps for a noob to android?

AngrySK

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I am brand new to android(came from Apple) and would love to know the best apps and what they do for android. Thank you for all the help.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what phone you got, but Nova Launcher changes the UI of the phone and is probably the best one of many launchers to do this. If you get Nova and like it, then upgrade to Nova Prime and then also get Tesla Unread Plug-in so that you can get notifications on certain icons.

SwiftKey is a fantastic replacement keyboard.

Aquamail is a great email app that integrates multiple accounts better than any other app.

And Calengoo is a better calendar with better widgets than the stock calendar.

Posted via Android Central App

Ki77erB

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
QuickPic is an awesome photo gallery with regular updates.

ES File Explorer...there are others but this one works for me.

Light Flow...lets you customize the notification light colors and more

Pushbullet...its awesome...trust me.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Definitely a launcher like Apex or Nova and then some icon packs or themes to truly make your phone one of a kind. (check out mycolorscreen.com for some inspiration)

Try out some keyboards to find the one that works best for you....Swiftkey, swype and minuum offer three drastically different styles.

PushBullet is awesome for moving files and links between your devices and PocketCasts is my go-to for podcasts.

KyonCoraeL

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Swiftkey - Now free for all! Themes subject to in-app purchases
ES File Explorer - A great way to access files on your local area network and manage files on your device much like you would do on a PC
Teamviewer or Splashtop - An excellent app to control or access your computer from across the internet.
Pushbullet - Notifications on your desktop and clipboard!
MightyText - SMS from your PC or mac!
Onenote or Evernote - Notetaking apps that sync with the cloud
Dropbox or your favorite cloud services.
MightyText

rap1

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Of course it depends on how you use it. One of the first I would install is Android Device Locator that will let you find your phone, ring it or remote wipe. Google apps are essential as many things are or can be tied into your Google account (Play store, maps, calendar, google docs, sheets, chrome, Gmail, Hangouts, Keep, You Tube, etc. Most are probably installed by default).

For basic clock/weather widgets on the home page try Beautiful Widgets or HD widgets. If you want to customize your experience try Nova Launcher that customizes app drawer, dock, screen, etc. A good file manager is handy (File Expert HD, ES File Explorer). Pushbullet will allow you to transfer files easy from PC<>phone, and get notifications on PC.

Look for some of the same apps you used on apple if you have favorites. Other general apps I like: Adobe Reader, Amazon (for access to shopping or prime account), Amazon Kindle, Amazon Appstore (for access to free apps and deals), Barcode scanner, Bible (from lifechurch.tv), Facebook, Messenger (Facebook), Flashlight, IMDB, Dropbox, Instagram, Pandora, Pinterest, Soundhound or Shazam, The Weather Channel, Twitter, QuickPic (better than default Gallary or photos app), Wikipedia, Feedly (if you follow a lot of websites/blogs), Those are some of the basics.

Some of my less common favorites: AFWall+ (for controlling what apps can use my limited data plan), Amazon music (for playing free music through Amazon Prime), BSPlayer Free (can play most video file formats), Xfinity apps if you have Comcast (Connect, Xfinitiy Wifi, X1 remote, xfinity tv), Droid48 (because I'm an HP calculator Geek), Goodreads to track books read, Keyring for loyalty cards), NIV Bible from Tecarta, Packing list full (for keeping packing lists for trips), Remember Me (for Bible verse memory), ESPN, Tapatalk (for forums), ToMarket Pro (for grocery shopping list), TV Guide, TV Show Favs (for tracking what episodes watched), Zillow & Realtor.com (for real estate).

And of course you can't forget the Android Central app! That give you a start. Hope that helps.

Jonathan Estevez

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a question for you guys. How do I make it so all my data from my apps and all my pictures that I download thru the phone or what not get saved automatically to my SD card?

cbryancan

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
You don't need the Android Device Locator APP on the phone. That's just the app that lets you look for other lost devices. But you do need to make sure location services are turned on so that google can find your device if it is lost.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Also if you're one of the dozens of people everyday on the forums who've forgotten their password, you can use the device manager to reset it.

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I am brand new to android(came from Apple) and would love to know the best apps and what they do for android. Thank you for all the help.

First of all, the Amazon Appstore. It has a paid app offered for free every day, and sometimes there are real gems in there. If you plan to use it, a notifier for the free app is good too, so you don't forget to check the store.

A launcher would be a good idea to start experimenting with customization. A launcher and icon pack can change the look and feel of the phone quickly. Some good launchers are Nova, Apex, Atom, Themer, etc. If you like the Google Now Launcher but want some more customization, Blur Launcher is great.

Alternate keyboards: you could keep the keyboard that came pre-installed on your phone if you want to, but experimenting with others is a good idea. Swiftkey, Swype, Touchpal, Fleksy, and Minuum are favorites of mine.

A flashlight is handy, I suppose. You should have that installed.

If you want to have toggles in the notification bar and that isn't already on your phone, Notification Toggles or Power Toggles are good for that.

If you don't use Google Now, but it's launched by swiping up from the home button, you could change what swiping up does. I have mine set to App Swap, a drawer for all my apps so I can switch apps quickly. There are also side bar apps that open if you swipe from the side or top.

The Android Central App, if you're going to continue reading and/or participating!
Just a few suggestions.

mysweetmouth

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I suggest MX Player for any type of video playback. Very customizable. Tapatalk for forums. Google news and weather app. Androsensor, Skype, whiteboard, Google maps, Titanium backup, SMS backup and restore, Call logs backup and restore, Utter!, Easy voice recorder, Reduce photo size,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair