Swype (*Official)

Dave1

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Swype

Swype is amazing. Of all the incredible apps available for the Droid I think this may be my favorite! It's a whole new paradigm.

I will certainly pay for the official (non-beta) version when it's released. I'm so glad I installed it. I can actually input text now!

Great job..

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely love this app. I have been forcing myself to use it more and more, and the only thing limiting my speed is learning where the characters are without looking at them (I am speedy typing, but I stare at the keyboard more often than not). I love it though!

My only wish (even before auto cap, etc), would be a function that allowed landscape Android stock keyboard and portrait Swype keyboard. I am still faster in landscape, but im loving portrait Swype.

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, the developers deserve a Nobel Prize. The ease of use is outstanding. I've shown it to 3 other people already and they've picked it up within 2 minutes!

lethalprophet

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
ok this is a bit infuriating.i installed and used swype for several days and have no complaints.But I had to do a hard reset on my droid.now I cant figure out how to re-enable the smiley button on the main swype keyboard. anyone else know how to do this?

ok, one complaint

the smiley button doesn't give you any options other than throne basic smiley but I think I can live with that for the speed and convenience I get with swype.

lethalprophet

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
ok this is a bit infuriating. I installed and used swype for several days and have no complaints. But I had to do a hard reset on my droid. Now I cant figure out how to re-enable the smiley button on the main swype keyboard. Anyone else know how to do this?

ok, one complaint

the smiley button doesn't give you any options other than the basic smiley but I think I can live with that for the speed and convenience I get with swype...

Last edited:

paradox460

Dec 24, 2009
paradoxdgn.com
It seems pretty slow and inaccurate to me too. Used it for a week, couldn't get used to it.

Would constantly overshoot letters, and would just have to retype the whole word

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I just installed this, and it works well. My Droid slowed down for about 5 minutes after installing, but now it's back to normal with no battery pull necessary.

It's weird to get used to, but seems to work really well. My only complaint is that I can't figure out how to enable Portuguese for the Swype Keyboard. Their website says the support it, but I supposed since the build we have isn't official, I can't expect all the features to be there. I heard they are only going to release this as an OEM thing, from manufacturers, but hopefully I can update it to include Portuguese support.

Last edited:

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed that swype seems to blow up the browser and lock the phone up every once in a while (about twice a week or so), but I still feel that it saves more time using swype even with an occasional ALT+SHIFT+DEL reboot or battery pull...

Anyone else notice the browser blowup issue?

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I installed it a month ago, and did enjoy it...the concept, at least.

However, I ended up going back to the stock keyboard, for a number of reasons. The main one was that editing specific portions of text was more difficult on Swype. Other reasons I didn't like it include no auto-caps, the auto-spacing sometimes freaking out, and it just plain doesn't look as good as the stock android keyboard.

While I am not as fast in portrait (android vs. swype), I do get the regular landscape keyboard back, which is way easier to use than landscape swype.

chaddymoff

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I've been using Swype for weeks now and love it. I use it in portrait 90% of the time and the Android on-screen keyboard in landscape about 10%.

Would love to get hold of the final version of this!

DevDesky

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Been using swype for a week now and I love it. Once you get used to it t9 is not the same anymore, i can send out txts soo much faster now and with little effort.

ps. Go thru the tutorial before using it will help you slove all the questions you will have while using it.

A+!