Launcher Allowing Different Homescreens in Landscape.than Portrait View?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I love nova but I usually leave my phone on kickstand in landscape view and it looks terrible. Looks fine in portrait view. Is there a browser that literally allows a totally different setup for my homescreen I landscape.view than in portrait view? I cannot design specifically for landscape because in car I use portrait view so I really want both views to look good.
Thanks!

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Browser Allowing Different Homescreens in Landscape.than Portrait View?

I think you mean launcher, not browser (Nova, TouchWiz = Launchers. Chrome,Firefox = Browsers).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Browser Allowing Different Homescreens in Landscape.than Portrait View?

Yes I do. Do any launchers allow separate setups for portrait and landscape?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but developer admits it is buggy and I don't want a launcher that connects itself to an external server to download themes nor any other reason.

I want something safe and stable from the playstore. At least somebody is thinking about the idea....but I need a launcher that solves it w/o being a security risk.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but developer admits it is buggy and I don't want a launcher that connects itself to an external server to download themes nor any other reason.

I want something safe and stable from the playstore. At least somebody is thinking about the idea....but I need a launcher that solves it w/o being a security risk.

Check the second link. I added it later.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I looked in playstore but saw nothing in description about totally different setup for portrait and landscape view. In other words I want totally different widgets and apps on landscape homescreen as opposed to portrait homescreen.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ah, well I watched the video and it looks way too complicated. When I add a widget or an app I don't want to be asked a million questions. I also saw nothing about that in the video...he just goes on and on about shortcuts. He even warns this is nothing like nova. Ideally I want something just like nova but allowing different setups on orientations of home page.

I also use live wallpaper and folders and he mentioned neither. This launcher is for someone more creative than I am really or someone who wants to make an Android phone look like a Windows phone.

I still want my portrait homescreen to look like the screenshot I attached although I often change the live wallpaper I always use live wallpaper. On landscape view I would only include the folders and one widget above them so they look big enough to use.

0633f318b403c98d19566ce8a5f27f29.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Then I'm sorry, those are the two only options I've found.

Again, I haven't used neither. But maybe you could at least give them a shot. The video might make it look more complicated than it is.

You could also e-mail Nova's devs and let them know this is a feature that would interest you. If they get enough requests, they might consider adding it, I'm sure.

What you could do is 'design' two different homepages in Nova. I know, not ideal, but at least a workaround. One homescreen designed for portrait and then one homescreen designed for landscape. When you change orientations, just swipe to the homescreen you want.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Maybe on a snowy day. I'm working on creating one screen that looks good in Nova on landscape and just switching to it manually when I am in landscape view.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well no way to make a nice landscape mode in Nova without changing settings in a way that ruins portrait view so I'm still on the lookout. Maybe some developer will add this option to an otherwise normal launcher.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought Nova had the option to change grid size for different orientation... at least that's what I read, I don't use Nova.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, no way to make landscape look good without making portrait look bad. I also tried making icons bigger which is a setting but they only get bigger in portrait view and in dock. For some reason icons retain their size in the dock in landscape view but become tiny on the rest of the screen. All I really need is a different grid size on each page. That other launcher does allow that but just too much work learning it and setting it up. I was kind of hoping it would be a simple solution that just hadn't occured to me. Thanks for all the time you have put in on this. I often find my questions are ignored in other forums.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not a problem. We try to answer as much as we can or try to help as far as we can. Unfortunately sometimes the answer is just 'it can't be done right now' :(

It seems the available solutions out there are not suitable for your particular needs. Hopefully a dev will come out and do this. It seems like such a simple, useful feature... I wonder if it's too hard to code like the Nova guy said.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
A different grid size on each page would at least allow setting up one page to switch to for extended landscape view.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember if Nova allows this or not, but you could try allowing overlapping widgets. That way they'll overlap on portrait but should look fine on landscape, and not care about the gridsize.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It is allowed but you simply cannot make icons LOOK bigger in landscape mode even if you resize them they look the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34