02-12-2011 02:27 PM
48 12
tools
    So I've been using Go Launcher for a few weeks now and IMO it is hands down one of if not "the" best luncher available today!!! And now that GO Dev Team has released Go Launcher EX they've really upped the bar. Go Launcher EX is a whole new app, they rewrote a good portion of the app so its a lot smoother and a bunch of new customization options. It now does everything LauncherPro(paid version) does... for free!!! Themes, custom icons, docks, widget resizing, system setups.... The only thing it doesn't offer that I can find is custom widgets.

Here's some screenshots of how I've got mine setup:

Here are my 3 home screens:

Left Hand Screen:
    DashBoard
    MixZing
    Folders from Go Launcher EX

Center Screen
    None (using WP Clock / paid version)

Right Hand Screen
    Jorte
    Temp+CPUv2
    Overclock Widget
    Folders from Go Launcher EX

Here's my launcher page and a couple of screen shots of Go Dev Team's SMS/MMS app called GO SMS:

I've been using Go Launcher through 5 or 6 updates now and every update has brought great fixes and functions. Plus the dev's are very open to ideas and responsive to emails.

Also, if you haven't try out there SMS app. It's a great app with lots of customization options.

And no I'm not one of the dev's trying to drum up there app, I'm just a guy that wasn't really that impressed with Sence on the EVO and didn't want to lose my 4G option by going to a ASOP rom.
    01-22-2011 07:57 PM
    So, just to clarify because I'm new to the world of android...this app lets you change the look of your homescreen kinda like changing a theme on a blackberry?
    01-22-2011 09:25 PM
    So, just to clarify because I'm new to the world of android...this app lets you change the look of your homescreen kinda like changing a theme on a blackberry?
    In a way.... yes. What 3rd party launchers do is replace the stock launcher that is installed on your device, be it HTC's Sence, Motorola's Blur and so on.

I have the EVO and Sence on it is nice, it's just not that customizable. The workspaces/home-screens don't landscape, you can't use custom icons, doesn't let you choose your own launcher bar items..... the list goes on and on.

With custom ROM's, launchers and some nice widgets and apps... if you can't make a Android device the phone of your dreams...
    laney12186 likes this.
    01-22-2011 09:42 PM
    That clears things up...thanks!
    01-22-2011 09:44 PM
    That clears things up...thanks!
    No problem.... I've lurked around XDA for a bit now and learned a lot 6 months or so (EVO's my first Android phone).... time to start paying it forward, so to speak.

You should check out the development section... learn a whole lot!!!
    01-22-2011 09:50 PM
    No problem.... I've lurked around XDA for a bit now and learned a lot 6 months or so (EVO's my first Android phone).... time to start paying it forward, so to speak.

You should check out the development section... learn a whole lot!!!

I've tonight of looking into how to develop some of my own apps but it seems really confusing. I'm not that technologically advanced yet. Loving my android though!
    01-22-2011 09:54 PM
    I'm also a little curious: How can they produce such a great launcher without charging any $$$?

There hasn't been any ads in previous versions. They seem to address permissions on their site but I'm just curious. I really like this launcher, I think it is the best one out there, but I just wonder how they can do this without any payment.
    The PLA must have deep pockets. ;-)

The practice of running privileged programs from anonymous sources is sub optimal.
    01-22-2011 10:36 PM
    Deleted, duplicate post

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    01-22-2011 10:42 PM
    I had Go Launcher running for a week and then they released the free EX version and it was a step back IMO. Home page often showed blank and themes would not update properly. Sometimes my Plume widget wouldn't scroll properly. They need to work through some things but it shows lots of promise. Installed ADW EX yesterday and had been using LPP for a good while. I love the Buuf theme and cool icons. Can't go wrong with either ADW EX or LPP.
    01-25-2011 10:04 AM
    I'm sure they'll update it soon with the bugs worked out. It mentioned that they had to recode it so it is expected.
    01-25-2011 11:26 AM
    love it. only thing I'd change is the default icons (launcherpro's are better looking imo) but it's much more robust than the free version of launcherpro and I'm a fan of that!
    01-25-2011 10:14 PM
    One small feature puts GO Launcher EX on top for me, and that's unread Gmail counts for ALL Gmail accounts in the dock.
    01-29-2011 09:14 PM
    Has anyone figured out how to make their own themes/icons/graphics for it?
    01-30-2011 07:35 AM
    Recently installed Go Launcher EX and am impressed. I was using LauncherPro (free edition) which was better than HTC Sense on my EVO.

One of the best things about Go Launcher EX is that it loads very fast. With LauncherPro I would have a delay for 10-15 sec at times before the screens would load.

The mini-control menu you get when you press an icon is a nice touch as it allows you to Replace, Rename, Delete or Uninstall the app or the icon, depending on what you choose.

Moving the app shortcut to another screen reminds me of the IPhone and is a nice touch as it makes it easy to move the shortcut to a screen that may not be immediately next to the screen it was originally at.

I have not tried the other features yet but as it stands now it is the best that I have used so far that fits what I need and want in a launcher.

Doc
    02-11-2011 08:33 AM
    i have been running it for about 2 months now and love it with no problems
    02-11-2011 08:56 AM
    I've been having lots of screen redraws for the last couple of weeks, almost any time I come back to the home screen.
    02-11-2011 09:50 AM
    I've been switching between Go & LP+. I just noticed that when I click menu and try to go into Preferences, my screen blacks out and it comes back to the main screen.

Any ideas???
    02-11-2011 10:10 AM
    I've been having lots of screen redraws for the last couple of weeks, almost any time I come back to the home screen.
    I've been switching between Go & LP+. I just noticed that when I click menu and try to go into Preferences, my screen blacks out and it comes back to the main screen.

Any ideas???
    Are you guys updated to Go Launcher EX 2.01? I experienced those issues prior to that version but it's since been corrected for me (EVO).

FYI - the GDT (Go Dev Team) website is registered in Beijing China. I don't know about you, but I've got my tin foil hat on...
    02-11-2011 11:44 AM
    Are you guys updated to Go Launcher EX 2.01? I experienced those issues prior to that version but it's since been corrected for me (EVO).

FYI - the GDT (Go Dev Team) website is registered in Beijing China. I don't know about you, but I've got my tin foil hat on...
    Yes I'm on 2.01
    02-11-2011 12:17 PM
    What do you mean by screen redraws? Have you adjusted the screen and elastic effects speed?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G
    02-11-2011 12:53 PM
    It starts with a blank homescreen and slowly fills in the icons followed by the widgets. Typically takes 5-10 seconds to finish.

Of course I just noticed my free memory was around 29MB. I cleaned out the caches and moved several apps to SD getting the free space to ~33 MB. Haven't had a re-draw yet since then. I'll have to keep an eye on the free space.
    02-11-2011 01:59 PM
    I had Go Launcher EX installed for most of this week and it was pretty decent. The one thing that made me uninstall it finally though was that I couldn't put mail notifications to my home email address in the dock. I could do text messages and Gmail (I don't use), but not my regular home email. It got the boot today.
    02-11-2011 04:48 PM
    I had Go Launcher EX installed for most of this week and it was pretty decent. The one thing that made me uninstall it finally though was that I couldn't put mail notifications to my home email address in the dock. I could do text messages and Gmail (I don't use), but not my regular home email. It got the boot today.
    Between the notification bar, two LEDs (wimax notifier) and the go launcher dock I have too many notifications.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G
    02-12-2011 02:27 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD