My wife and I purchased tablets for our kids for christmas. I am trying to find the best content filtering application out there. I have some security setup for DNS routing, but would like to have some sort of app installed on the tablet for when we are not at home. I've tried to google, but still am a little in the dark.
    I've looked in the play store, but just not sure as to what the best security/content filtering application is out there. Please help me AC forums.
    12-26-2014 11:13 AM
    Content filtering isn't even close to being in the realm of supercomputers today. Do you want to filter a site that has the word "breast"? All the time? Or only when it's content you don't want your kids to see? Which would take a supercomputer a long time to calculate. A phone? Your kids would probably be past worrying about what their kids looked at by the time the tablet they're using today reached a decision about a site they wanted to go to today. (We don't have intelligent computers yet - we don't have even extremely stupid computers yet. We'll get to the extremely stupid stage in about 50 years or so.)

The best filtering? It depends on their ages. The best way to keep 7 year olds out of trouble is useless for 17 year olds (and vice-versa).

If it's IP address filtering you're talking about, a huge hosts file would do it. (Unless it's a teen-ager who knows Linux, in which case, renaming the file would take him 5 seconds.)
    12-26-2014 11:59 AM
    I have 3 kids from 10 to 7 with tablets. I am currently using opendns family filter to keep them from adult themed and of course safe image searching. I've used plenty of web/content filters at my place of work over the years ranging from barracuda networks to bluecoat.
    12-26-2014 07:44 PM