Searching selected text in chrome: open in new tab??

fitzhugh

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to open results in a new tab when searching on selected text in android chrome?
I often want to look something on a page up but want the results to open in a background tab, or at least a new tab. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you!

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Enter chrome://flags/ in your address bar and then scroll down to "Enable Contextual Search" and enable it.

Try it, works a treat for me!

fitzhugh

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
First off, thanks for replying!
I'm afraid that allows me to search on the selected text, but does not own the results in a new tab. I'd forgotten all about flags, though, so I looked through them all and don't see any way to do what I'm after.
Unless someone has a trick I think I'm out of luck. Oh well.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Swipe the contextual result up to the top and that will bring you to the address bar.

There in the far left hand corner in the address bar you will find a magnifying glass. Tap on that and it will show you the results page in a new tab.

fitzhugh

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I overlooked the restart button after enabling it, saw no change, and assumed it had been on by default. That is even better than what I thought I wanted! Thank you!

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Happy to help if I can, but don't always get it right!!

Some cool features in flags and IIRC they tried contextual search a while back with limited success. However, I have no problems with this version and cant live without it now (I use Chrome Beta by the way).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21