Recently made the switch to Google Voice for my main phone #... with the unforseen consequence that now all my text messages being sent to that number get routed through Google Voice on my phone!

Is anyone using Google Voice as their primary text messaging service? I really like Handcent... I assume there's probably no way to have Handcent continue to handle my text messaging, even though it goes through Google Voice?

This might enough of a nuisance to go back to using my Verizon #...
    12-09-2010 09:36 PM
    Recently made the switch to Google Voice for my main phone #... with the unforseen consequence that now all my text messages being sent to that number get routed through Google Voice on my phone!

Is anyone using Google Voice as their primary text messaging service? I really like Handcent... I assume there's probably no way to have Handcent continue to handle my text messaging, even though it goes through Google Voice?

This might enough of a nuisance to go back to using my Verizon #...
    I like Handcent as well, but there is no current way to use it with Google Voice text messages.
    12-10-2010 07:22 AM
    Another bummer about GV is that MMS is not supported. This is pretty much the only reason why I have not switched to GV as my primary number. Actually, I did, but after discovering this I switched back to my old number. I use the GV number as my business cell number that I give to clients, and as my primary voicemail service. But friends and family still have my old number.
    12-10-2010 09:11 AM
    Another bummer about GV is that MMS is not supported. This is pretty much the only reason why I have not switched to GV as my primary number. Actually, I did, but after discovering this I switched back to my old number. I use the GV number as my business cell number that I give to clients, and as my primary voicemail service. But friends and family still have my old number.
    Yep, that's a great point... I'm going to stop giving out the number as primary except to businesses and stuff, or if I need someone to be able to call me at either my house or cell. The text thing is annoying, it'd be nice if they could get routed to Handcent instead somehow.
    12-10-2010 10:06 AM
    Is anyone using Google Voice as their primary text messaging service?
    Yup.

I really like Handcent... I assume there's probably no way to have Handcent continue to handle my text messaging, even though it goes through Google Voice?
    Only if you enable SMS forwarding but it won't work exactly in the way that you're used to. Instead of getting messages from the senders in Handcent they'll appear to come from 406 numbers (though the contact name/number is included as part of each message). You'll have to send/reply to those 406 numbers or else your text messages will originate from your VZW number and not your GV number.

I'm not sure if you can enable SMS forwarding via the GV app. To do so via the full GV site, go to Settings->Voice Settings, click the Edit button for your device and check the "Receive text messages on this phone" box.

Be aware that while GV text messaging is free since it's data (why you can't use Handcent with GV messaging) that SMS forwarding will count against you and may incur fees, depending on whether you have a text messaging bundle or not.

Another bummer about GV is that MMS is not supported.
    Not an issue for me. I don't miss not getting the latest "funny pictures" from my friends and family. Those that absolutely must have been trained to just use email instead. Obviously, YMMV.
    12-10-2010 07:53 PM
    Thanks for the reply! I will keep an eye on that... Right now I have given my GV # to a few people, so I'll use that as an experiment to see how I like using it when they text me. In the meantime, I'll let everyone else use my regular cell #.
    12-11-2010 03:35 PM
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering something similar and didn't want to make a new one.

I don't really care which SMS app I use, as long as it has more functionality than the native GV app. I was using beluga for a few days (and it seems to use my GV number, but I really have no idea), but it owned my battery and wasn't worth it. My biggest frustration with the GV app is that it will randomly create new threads for existing conversations, and the lack of MMS.

Any suggestions on what to use? Also, if I should just create another thread, I can do that as well, just thought I'd try and keep everything "cleaner"

Thanks!
    01-28-2011 10:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD