Why does Skype disconnect the call when multitasking (Moto X 2014, Lollipop)?

gordon29123

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Skype disconnects calls when multitasking (Moto X 2014, Lollipop)

So, I'm quite new to Android, having just picked up an unlocked Moto X a few weeks ago. I've been shuffling my SIM card between this and my iPhone 6 as I try to get used to how things work. Unfortunately, this one issue has turned into a showstopper:

If I'm on a call in Skype and I switch to another application, there is an excellent chance that the Skype call will drop. The audio will cut out; the icon in the status bar will remain, but the notification will be unresponsive (the hangup and mute buttons don't do anything.) Switching back to the Skype app, the call will simply show as ended.

As long as I make like a circa-2007 iPhone and keep the Skype app frontmost the entire time I'm in a call, it doesn't drop, but that's not an acceptable solution.

I've tried the usual easy tricks - remove Skype cache and Data, delete and reinstall Skype, reboot phone, etc.

I'm thinking Android is maybe terminating the Skype process to free up resources, but on a top-of-the-line phone with lots of RAM and not a lot of else running in the background it does not seem like that should ever be an issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Skype disconnects calls when multitasking (Moto X 2014, Lollipop)

Welcome to Android Central! It sounds more like a problem with the Skype app itself. It really ought to be able to stay as a foreground process while on a call, even if you've switched to a different app on the screen (just like an actual phone call). The Google Play site reviews mention quite a few glitches with the app, although I didn't see any specific mention of your issue in my cursory look. Try emailing the developer: skypeuploader@googlemail.com

dehkun

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I tried may ways to avoid this issue without success. The only way that really worked for me is: Rooted + Xposed + App Settings module. In the app, search for Skype and select the "Resident" option to keep Skype resident in memory.