can att block apps in the app store?

dbord_n

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
There are some apps I can find on app brain and when I try to open it in the market it says its not there. Is att blocking them or what?

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
App brain pulls directly from the android market. the companies have little say to whats available in the market. That really pertains to when its a carrier specific application in the market. For instance, you cannot find any of Sprints android apps on a AT&T Android phone (without root and sideloading of course).

I have had that issue with going through app brain and trying to download it and it says it cannot be found. App brain, from my experience, sometimes takes a few days to update on certian applications. Wheather that be a update or a app being taken off of the market.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
More likely your version of Android. You'll only see apps that apply to your OS version in the Market.

Not necessarily... I do remember a while back hearing that AT&T was blocking "WHERE" from the Market, so the carriers do have SOME power. But AppBrain, when coupled with Fast App Install, can usually work around it. (I, for example, downloaded Flash before Verizon released that second Froyo update for the OG Droid that enabled me to do that.)

dbord_n

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to her barnacle wick tether and I can not get it to show up in the app market. I downloaded it and installed with side load but I can get it to work and appbrain shows it has an update.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Not necessarily... I do remember a while back hearing that AT&T was blocking "WHERE" from the Market, so the carriers do have SOME power. But AppBrain, when coupled with Fast App Install, can usually work around it. (I, for example, downloaded Flash before Verizon released that second Froyo update for the OG Droid that enabled me to do that.)

This is true, but with att blocking all third party apps outside of the.market, you cant do that on att

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

beachhead

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
So try this work around:

put phone in "airplane mode", which turns off wifi and cell
then go into your settings, and turn wifi on.
go to market, and d/l and install app.
then exit airplane mode.

Reactions: dbord_n

dbord_n

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey beachead that work like a charm!! So I guess the carries put in something to check or something even over the cell line before the wifi would kick in.