04-20-2011 06:56 PM
27 12
tools
    I'm bumping this because there has been a newer player in the game of launchers: Go Launcher EX.

I've been using Go Launcher EX on my HTC Thunderbolt. Up until 2.21, Go Launcher EX was great and I loved its features. But 2.21 is less stable on my Thunderbolt, so when I went searching for other's comments, I saw some people saying that Go Launcher EX was more of a battery-drain than LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher.

Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps I'll try a three-day test, using one launcher for a whole day and switching with each recharge. Would Battery Use and Where's My Droid Power? be the best ways to try benchmarking this?

On the topic of widgets in other launchers, is this really an issue if the third-party launcher is set as the default and the manufacturer's launcher is not running (either via a reboot or a Force Close)?
    I switched from Launcher Pro to Go Launcher Ex and noticed a very significant battery decrease. (I went through the regular steps of taking all my widgets off the stock launch, and off Launcher Pro). Gave it a while to settle in, still battery drain. Switched back to Launcher Pro (to make sure I wasn't crazy) and Launcher Pro gave me a lot longer battery life.

I eventually ended up sticking with Go Launcher Ex anyway, because I like it enough to just deal with the battery drain.
    By the by, I checked Battery Usage and Wheres My Droid Power, and both of them noted Go Launcher Ex as using more battery than either Launcher Pro or ADW... but it still wasn't being listed as high enough to be as much of a battery drain as it was... so I suspect there's some fundamental problems with the way Go Launcher Ex works that's causing the battery drain.
    04-20-2011 06:14 PM
    I'm using Go Launcher EX as well & havn't noticed any additional battery drain when compared to Sense (phone - Inspire HD).
    04-20-2011 06:56 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD