gmail help

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Can someone point me to a walk threw of the newest version of the gmail app. I keeping hearing the default email program is one of the best at mail but every time I try and set it up I can get it to sync up with my desktop It won't I don't understand the differences between the folders and sync options of all and some etc. Can it push like K-9? I use K-9 right now and love the instantest of the email.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
There is a video on the main site that highlights the changes for the new gmail version that you can check out. The gmail app does push, and for me all email has been pretty much instant. The sync options for the folder controls how much is synced to your phone (ie. only email from the last four days). It doesn't effect what is stored on the servers. I haven't had any issues with the sync but I don't use my PC for email that much.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
There was a way to take a folder and make it an icon on your desktop that would show just that folder and new email to it. How do I do a folder icon on the home page? I remember Jerry on a podcast talking about it.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I did the long press and in Launcher pro I get a force close with folders. I was looking to have a label icon on the home screen with just email from the boss. Can I create a folder like this? Where do I find the settings to have push gmail?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. if you use the GOOGLE GMAIL App with your GMAIL account you are automatically set up for PUSH. there are no additional settings needed.

2. long press to create a GMAIL INBOX folder on your display.

3. it would help if you told us what device you have.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Its a droid x running the new 2.3 i just installed last night. So there isn't any push notifications to setup that would explain why i can't find settings.:D I have it up and not getting mail for some reason. its coming in on K-9 but not gmail.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Can't get the gmail to check mail. I have the app installed I stopped the k-9 sync and it doesn't push the mail when it comes it. I have priority inbox on.Also what is with all the imap folders that are created .I just want the folders I created. I have duplicates for some reason. I also found I can create a label on the desktop but it doesn't show a name for the label so I have know idea what folder it is?

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok I get the mail to receive when I refresh manually now.i also turned off k-9 and deleted mail droid fearing it would screw up the set up.
I send a test message and it won't come threw by push only manually with hitting refresh in the gmail app. Help
There has to be some setting for the push email.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok I get the mail to receive when I refresh manually now.i also turned off k-9 and deleted mail droid fearing it would screw up the set up.
I send a test message and it won't come threw by push only manually with hitting refresh in the gmail app. Help
There has to be some setting for the push email.

are you using the latest gmail update?

uninstall the updates and use the older version, see if that starts working for you. Mine with the update seems to work for a day or 2 then it stops, the older version however has been working fine for over a week so far. The market has a bunch of review stating the same thing, the updates loses sync.

Try it

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok.i well try the older version.i checked the sync under my gmail account.it shows books ,calendar, and gnail all set to touch to sync.how do I change that? I hit the menu key and there is only the option to sync now.

imdabold1

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok.i well try the older version.i checked the sync under my gmail account.it shows books ,calendar, and gnail all set to touch to sync.how do I change that? I hit the menu key and there is only the option to sync now.

Not sure what you mean. Do you have both options ticked (Background Data, and Auto-sync) on the main accounts and sync screen?

Hire do I find the older version?

Shouldn't need to install an .apk just go to Settings ->Applications->Manage Applications->Gmail->Uninstall Updates. This should revert you to 2.11 or so.

Last edited:

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Under accounts/my account/click my gmail account name then I see the following top to bottom.
Sync books
Sync contacts
Sync gmail
Sync calendar
Under each category is the words "touch to sync now"
Then the date of the last time synced.
This is the issues I am having . I can't find a global setting to allow my gmail to sync all the time I can only get it to sync if I select the account manually.
Follow me now?

imdabold1

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Under accounts/my account/click my gmail account name then I see the following top to bottom.
Sync books
Sync contacts
Sync gmail
Sync calendar
Under each category is the words "touch to sync now"
Then the date of the last time synced.
This is the issues I am having . I can't find a global setting to allow my gmail to sync all the time I can only get it to sync if I select the account manually.
Follow me now?

What build are you using? I am 2.2 and after the first two steps(emboldened above) you should see a list of all of the accounts affiliated with your phone (gmail, facebook, twitter, etc.) but just above that in the general sync area you should see the two options I was telling you about.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What build are you using? I am 2.2 and after the first two steps(emboldened above) you should see a list of all of the accounts affiliated with your phone (gmail, facebook, twitter, etc.) but just above that in the general sync area you should see the two options I was telling you about.

i wish I could take a screen shot. I have just top to bottom.
phone(backup assistant)
facebook account
gmail
picasa
twitter.
menu key shows
add account or picture source.
bottom of the screen is add account.

build is 2.3.340 verizon system
android version 2.2.1

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just added a gmail account to the list. I don't think it will do anything to the syncing we will see. I would think Under the Big "G" google and sync options it would take care of the sync.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000