Wallpaper Auto-switcher

tlewis3348

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for an app that will automatically switch my wallpaper based on the weather and my location. For example, ideally there would be pictures of cities, rural areas, roadways, etc. with cold, warm, sunny, cloudy, rainy, and snowy weather.

I tried finding something that would do this with the Muzei app, but found that it was causing my CPU to be constantly churning.

Ultimately, I've found very few apps that will download wallpapers dynamically, let alone allow a person to selectively and dynamically choose which photos would be set as the wallpaper.

I'm not against using Tasker to automate such things, but I've not found any way to do such a thing so far. Is there anyone here that has any suggestions?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for an app that will automatically switch my wallpaper based on the weather and my location. For example, ideally there would be pictures of cities, rural areas, roadways, etc. with cold, warm, sunny, cloudy, rainy, and snowy weather.

I tried finding something that would do this with the Muzei app, but found that it was causing my CPU to be constantly churning.
You want an app to be constantly running, but you don't want it to be constantly using the CPU. When you figure out how that can be done I'll write the code and we'll each make William Buffet look poor. (And for our next project, you just figure out how to make a perpetual motion machine with usable output, and I'll build it. Then the money we made for the first invention will seem like chicken feed, because we'll have violated a few laws of the universe.)

I'm not against using Tasker to automate such things, but I've not found any way to do such a thing so far. Is there anyone here that has any suggestions?
A weather app that's Tasker-aware (Wunderground?), so you can tell the weather, and wallpaper chosen for each type of weather, letting Tasker set it? (See Auto Set Wallpapers with Time/Calender Entry Tasker : Profile 9 - Nexus and Me for changing the wallpaper.) You could also make it location-aware, so every other time it chooses by weather or location, back and forth. Or any wild combination you can think of.

Searches for tasker weather or tasker wallpaper or tasker location turn up lots of tasks that you can steal ideas from.

tlewis3348

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm fully aware of the capabilities of Tasker, and am confident that I could get Tasker to do what I want it to do (without using up all the resources that Muzei did) if I merely had access to the photos. I currently have Tasker updating DashClock every hour with location-dependent weather data via the OpenWeatherMap API. I was previously using the Wunderground API, but found some of the data it reported to be inaccurate. What I have now seems to accomplish the intended task pretty well, but as far as I know, neither API provides photos related to the weather.

Ultimately, I've seen several means of using locally stored photos to do what I'm trying to do, but I would really prefer having a wider variety of photos for Tasker to select from than I'm willing to store locally on my device.

The way I see it, I have the following options:

1. I can try to find a gallery of photos tagged with the type of location and weather and make Tasker replace the existing wallpaper with the most recent relevant one from the gallery. For this to work, I would need help identifying a source for the photos.

2. I can go to the laborious (though not impossible) task of finding all the photos for the various conditions I'd like to account for, save them to a cloud storage solution, and somehow get Tasker to download them from there as they are needed. For this to work, I would need advice to figure out how to get Tasker to download files from a cloud storage location. I currently have Google Drive and Google+ Photos installed, so my preference would be to use one of those as a storage location, but I'd also be open to using another solution if it is better/more convenient.

3. I can install an app that does all this for me. As I've already said, I tried using Muzei, but it seems to eat up a lot of CPU power even when it's not doing anything, and besides that, it doesn't give me the control that I really would like to have. Any other suggestions would be gladly considered.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish