Why am I getting a message saying No Conversations?

Frederick Keegan

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Messaging not working "No Conversations"

Nexus 4
Messaging Version 5-0-1-1602158
Storage Total 2.48MB App 2.39MB Data 88.0KB Cache 108KB
Carrier: Straightalk / AT&T

Every once in a while The Android messaging app will seem to stop. It will display "No Conversations", There should be messages / conversations to be display. When this happens I will not be able to send or receive messages. If I power down the phone and then restart, the missing conversations reappear. I am then able to send and receive text messages.

Any ideas on what cause this and how to prevent it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Messaging not working "No Conversations"

Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried using Hangouts for SMS? Even if you don't like Hangouts, it may be a good way to figure out if it's the Messaging app that's the problem, or your phone's overall SMS functionality.

Frederick Keegan

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

No I have not used hangouts. I tried it when it first came out and did not like it. I believe that it is the messaging app or how it was installed or the install of 5.0

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Messaging, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. See if the problem recurs. Be aware that Clear Data might delete any texts you're trying to save (but I'm not certain of this).

Frederick Keegan

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

I have select clear cache and clear data. Then tried to receive a message from another phone, it was not received. I powered down and powered up the nexus 4 and the problem went away. But it came back a few days later.

Is there a way to uninstall messaging and re-install it ?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton