04-15-2011 08:15 AM
160 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Oh, and I hate the icon that they're using now...it's a stick in the ground with a sign on it for notifications. It's really difficult to see as it blends in with the notification bar. I would prefer it to just have a Facebook logo.

And sorry to those that it isn't working for, you'd think Facebook, which is worth billions, would be able to get this accomplished. I mean hell, they got the Blackberry one working just fine.
    BlackBerry arguably has the best notifications for Facebook out of all of the platforms. If there is ANYTHING I "miss", it's that right there.
    12-15-2010 02:36 PM
    BlackBerry arguably has the best notifications for Facebook out of all of the platforms. If there is ANYTHING I "miss", it's that right there.
    Yeah, I definitely miss that part, and am really curious as to why BB got the best notifications. Also, what the _____ were they thinking with the new notification icon? It's hideous and kind of difficult to see.
    12-15-2010 02:41 PM
    It should just be a BLUE Facebook icon, like on BlackBerry or like the logo itself. Why they insist on making it different from the norm is beyond me.
    12-15-2010 02:42 PM
    Yeah, I definitely miss that part, and am really curious as to why BB got the best notifications. Also, what the _____ were they thinking with the new notification icon? It's hideous and kind of difficult to see.
    Because the BlackBerry notifications rely on the tried and true e-mail notifications. Basically, all the app does is watch your messages box on your BB for a Facebook e-mail and then converts it to a Facebook notification. The e-mail notifications from Facebook, the e-mail push from RIM...basically everything was already in place for real time (server pushed) notifications, all the app had to do was watch the inbox and pickup the Facebook notification e-mails.

With Android, they are having to adapt to a relatively new product (C2DM) that's Android specific and actually still in closed beta as far as Google is concerned.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    12-15-2010 02:58 PM
    I have a DInc with stock Froyo and I have no issues with the new chat working, but have received NO push notifications. I even did a battery pull (hangover from my BB days)! Hopefully this works itself out over the next few days.
    12-15-2010 03:20 PM
    It should just be a BLUE Facebook icon, like on BlackBerry or like the logo itself. Why they insist on making it different from the norm is beyond me.
    Yep, makes absolutely notta bit of sense. It's like they're trying to be cute or something. Just have a blue "F" icon. Done and over with.
    12-15-2010 04:15 PM
    Has anyone had any PUSH notifactions on their Samsung Fascinate i500? I havnt seemed to have any...
    12-15-2010 04:58 PM
    Has anyone had any PUSH notifactions on their Samsung Fascinate i500? I havnt seemed to have any...
    From what I just read, it looks like I have to be running 2.2? FAIL!
    12-15-2010 05:00 PM
    yeah i almost wish they did what google does.. and block non froyo phones from the update.
    12-15-2010 05:32 PM
    So all last night and today I got a push notification for everything. Now all of a sudden I don't get any notifications for anything.
    12-15-2010 08:27 PM
    To be honest I appreciate that facebook is bringing out new features like chat but the fact that every time I open the application the news feed is displayed is such a pain! Surely it would make sense to have a option to disable/enable this feature, notifications still aren't 100%, they should take some of bloo's code :P
    12-15-2010 09:37 PM
    So all last night and today I got a push notification for everything. Now all of a sudden I don't get any notifications for anything.
    Same here and a few of my friends. Was working fine and sometimes afternoon today it stopped working.
    12-15-2010 11:29 PM
    holy battery usage batman!
    Well said! I updated the app yesterday, and today the battery drain increase was very noticeable. I am going to stay logged off facebook tomorrow and see if it helps any.
    12-16-2010 12:27 AM
    My wifes EVO was getting the Push Notifications after the update and all day yesterday just up and stopped around 5:30PM EST and hasn't worked since. My theory of it being on Facebooks end with their Servers and Databases is starting to look better and better.
    12-16-2010 07:24 AM
    I personally am not getting push notifications unless I actually open the app. As well, I am having issues with chat where I have to consistently close past conversations I had every time I open the chat window. EVERY TIME.

I think it's safe to say that this update has bugs, since some are having issues and others are not.

I'm running Droid 1 - 2.2.1.
    12-16-2010 08:53 AM
    I read this over on the facebook for android facebook page and thought it may be helpful. i havent had the chance to test it out yet but maybe someone else can...

1) To receive push notifications it appears you must get an email to an address that is associated with your phone. I turned my email notifications back on, which are associated with my gmail account, and I am receiving push notifications. As soon as I turned my email notifications back on, I began getting push notices again. This is the same way the app for Blackberry works....(or at least used to)

2) To stop push notifications it seems that you need to either turn off your email notifications from FB or have them associated with an email address that is not associated with your phone.
    12-16-2010 09:54 AM
    I personally am not getting push notifications unless I actually open the app. As well, I am having issues with chat where I have to consistently close past conversations I had every time I open the chat window. EVERY TIME.

I think it's safe to say that this update has bugs, since some are having issues and others are not.

I'm running Droid 1 - 2.2.1.
    Some problems I'm having with my Droid 1. Does anyone have a Droid 1 that is working?
    12-16-2010 10:21 AM
    I read this over on the facebook for android facebook page and thought it may be helpful. i havent had the chance to test it out yet but maybe someone else can...

1) To receive push notifications it appears you must get an email to an address that is associated with your phone. I turned my email notifications back on, which are associated with my gmail account, and I am receiving push notifications. As soon as I turned my email notifications back on, I began getting push notices again. This is the same way the app for Blackberry works....(or at least used to)

2) To stop push notifications it seems that you need to either turn off your email notifications from FB or have them associated with an email address that is not associated with your phone.
    I don't think this is correct. The app, as far as I know, is supposed to use the c2d framework Google added in android 2.2. Also, I am getting the email notifications but have only received one instant notification from the app itself for a message.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    12-16-2010 11:04 AM
    I don't think this is correct. The app, as far as I know, is supposed to use the c2d framework Google added in android 2.2. Also, I am getting the email notifications but have only received one instant notification from the app itself for a message.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    This is correct. Facebook integrated C2D into the app, which is also the reason that push notifications are not working properly (or working at all for that matter) on devices that are running versions of Android prior to Froyo.
    12-16-2010 12:05 PM
    well I dont know how it is supposed to work but I got an email on my phone for an invite at 9:39am and the notification came through on facebook at 12:55pm
    12-16-2010 12:21 PM

I don't think this is correct. I have Facebook emails being sent to my same email address that I use for my phone, and I am not receiving any push updates.
    12-16-2010 12:24 PM
    I don't think this is correct. I have Facebook emails being sent to my same email address that I use for my phone, and I am not receiving any push updates.
    +1, same thing here. Sounds like someone was trying to be helpful, thinking that this worked the same as BB notifications, when it is not catching the emails, but using cloud-to-device notifications.
    12-16-2010 12:36 PM
    I was getting push notifications on everything for the first day on my Incredible and then they just stopped. I didn't change anything in my settings so my guess is it being a FB quirk. I hope they fix it soon. It was nice while it lasted.
    12-16-2010 12:49 PM
    I got push notifications the first couple of hours after I downloaded the upgrade.... and that was it... back to nothing... what happened?
    12-16-2010 01:25 PM
    Still can't get it to work. Ill just stick with F plus for now

Sent from my CM6.1 Powered device
    12-16-2010 02:04 PM
160 ... 23456 ...