Facebook for Android gets chat, push notifications

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It should just be a BLUE Facebook icon, like on BlackBerry or like the logo itself. Why they insist on making it different from the norm is beyond me.

Yep, makes absolutely notta bit of sense. It's like they're trying to be cute or something. Just have a blue "F" icon. Done and over with.

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So all last night and today I got a push notification for everything. Now all of a sudden I don't get any notifications for anything.

DontJudgeMe

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I appreciate that facebook is bringing out new features like chat but the fact that every time I open the application the news feed is displayed is such a pain! Surely it would make sense to have a option to disable/enable this feature, notifications still aren't 100%, they should take some of bloo's code :p

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
My wifes EVO was getting the Push Notifications after the update and all day yesterday just up and stopped around 5:30PM EST and hasn't worked since. My theory of it being on Facebooks end with their Servers and Databases is starting to look better and better.

SparkyXI

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I personally am not getting push notifications unless I actually open the app. As well, I am having issues with chat where I have to consistently close past conversations I had every time I open the chat window. EVERY TIME.

I think it's safe to say that this update has bugs, since some are having issues and others are not.

I'm running Droid 1 - 2.2.1.

chekyo4

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I read this over on the facebook for android facebook page and thought it may be helpful. i havent had the chance to test it out yet but maybe someone else can...

1) To receive push notifications it appears you must get an email to an address that is associated with your phone. I turned my email notifications back on, which are associated with my gmail account, and I am receiving push notifications. As soon as I turned my email notifications back on, I began getting push notices again. This is the same way the app for Blackberry works....(or at least used to)

2) To stop push notifications it seems that you need to either turn off your email notifications from FB or have them associated with an email address that is not associated with your phone.

tmitche2

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I personally am not getting push notifications unless I actually open the app. As well, I am having issues with chat where I have to consistently close past conversations I had every time I open the chat window. EVERY TIME.

I think it's safe to say that this update has bugs, since some are having issues and others are not.

I'm running Droid 1 - 2.2.1.

Some problems I'm having with my Droid 1. Does anyone have a Droid 1 that is working?

dscott23

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I read this over on the facebook for android facebook page and thought it may be helpful. i havent had the chance to test it out yet but maybe someone else can...

1) To receive push notifications it appears you must get an email to an address that is associated with your phone. I turned my email notifications back on, which are associated with my gmail account, and I am receiving push notifications. As soon as I turned my email notifications back on, I began getting push notices again. This is the same way the app for Blackberry works....(or at least used to)

2) To stop push notifications it seems that you need to either turn off your email notifications from FB or have them associated with an email address that is not associated with your phone.

I don't think this is correct. The app, as far as I know, is supposed to use the c2d framework Google added in android 2.2. Also, I am getting the email notifications but have only received one instant notification from the app itself for a message.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't think this is correct. The app, as far as I know, is supposed to use the c2d framework Google added in android 2.2. Also, I am getting the email notifications but have only received one instant notification from the app itself for a message.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

This is correct. Facebook integrated C2D into the app, which is also the reason that push notifications are not working properly (or working at all for that matter) on devices that are running versions of Android prior to Froyo.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
well I dont know how it is supposed to work but I got an email on my phone for an invite at 9:39am and the notification came through on facebook at 12:55pm

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site

I don't think this is correct. I have Facebook emails being sent to my same email address that I use for my phone, and I am not receiving any push updates.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this is correct. I have Facebook emails being sent to my same email address that I use for my phone, and I am not receiving any push updates.

+1, same thing here. Sounds like someone was trying to be helpful, thinking that this worked the same as BB notifications, when it is not catching the emails, but using cloud-to-device notifications.

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
I was getting push notifications on everything for the first day on my Incredible and then they just stopped. I didn't change anything in my settings so my guess is it being a FB quirk. I hope they fix it soon. It was nice while it lasted.

RieDogg

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I got push notifications the first couple of hours after I downloaded the upgrade.... and that was it... back to nothing... what happened?