Facebook for Android gets chat, push notifications

Lurch81#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So some are getting push for all some are getting push for some things and others like me get none at all, great work facebook

Swyped on my OG Droid using Tapatalk

acedanger

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
This update seems to be killing my battery - it drained from 99% to 67% in less than 40 minutes.

I just started logging out of FB when I'm not actively using it and am hopeful that will help.

Anybody else noticing major battery drainage after this update?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
No major battery drainage on my EVO, but I'm also not getting push notifications (just the same old event, FR, and message ones: no wall posts or comments)

Still nice they are rolling out improvements. Just wish they'd get notifications working, although it does sound like from other posts that they are working on some devices.

bob the noob

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
For those of you getting the FB push notifications (I'm not), does it show up in your status bar or do you need to open the app to see them?

I'm an ex-Berry user and they came up in the status bar which was nice, it was always running in the background.

-Bob

Mikey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
For those of you getting the FB push notifications (I'm not), does it show up in your status bar or do you need to open the app to see them?

I'm an ex-Berry user and they came up in the status bar which was nice, it was always running in the background.

-Bob

If it doesn't give you an alert or show up in the status bar and you have to open the app to see it that isn't exactly a notification.

I wanna know what these people are supposedly doing. Four different phones and we have done all sorts of things running 2.2 like Facebook said and none of them get them for comments, likes or wall post.

Sent on my Evo using Tapatalk Pro!

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Just joined the forum to give another sample for the group here. Hate to see some users calling others liars because their is working. My girlfriend and I tested tested these all last night.

Hers: Droid 1, 2.2.1
Mine: Droid X, 2.2.1

Notifications I have gotten pushed:
Chat
"______ has accepted your friend request"
"______ commented on _______'s status"
"1 new friend request"
"______ commented on your status"
"______ tagged a photo of you"
"______ Liked your status"

Chat works well and seems to keep me logged in unless I tell it otherwise. Even after leaving the app, I get chat notifications if I left it logged in.

So I guess add me into the success category.

Edit: Forgot to mention that some notifications have different icons. They show up in the status bar. Blue LED flashes for FB alerts and phone vibrates or makes a sound for all except the chat for some reason.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Is this maybe a 2.2 issue? I’ve read a couple places now that Push notifications are only fully operational on devices running FroYo. I’m still on ?clair with the Fascinate and I’m only receiving push notifications in the notification area for the same old things as before, nothing still on comments or likes.

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Is this maybe a 2.2 issue? I?ve read a couple places now that Push notifications are only fully operational on devices running FroYo. I?m still on ?clair with the Fascinate and I?m only receiving push notifications in the notification area for the same old things as before, nothing still on comments or likes.

C2DM is only supported on 2.2, so yes, you must be on Froyo. However, it seems that even some devices on 2.2 are not receiving push notifications. Facebook has posted on their Facebook for Android page that 2.2 is required and if it's not working, your device might not be supported, but they did not provide a list of supported devices. I would assume that all devices with 2.2 would be supported.

My experience is that chat is working with instant notifications, but nothing else is.

Droid X running 2.2.1.

bob the noob

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Question for those of you who are getting notifications: Do you have FB added as an account under "my accounts" or did you just log into the app?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
For the record...

I'm only using the app, I'm on a DX with the latest 2.2 official update, I have notifications checked, and I have received some push notifications that I wasn't receiving before the latest FB update.

The only ones I can account for are for comments on my status update and comments on someone else's status that I had commented on. I'm receiving these before my email is even coming in. Someone did like my status, but I didn't receive a push notification for that, but there also isn't an option to receive that via email either, so I don't really care.

I can't account for anything with chat because I don't use it, and no one has posted on my wall, so I don't know about that, but I am getting some push notifications.

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The app in the market states it is for 2.2+ so I am guessing that means only phones with 2.2.1 can use it which for us EVO users who only have the base 2.2, we are left in the dark for the Push Notifications.

However here is where it gets sketchy. My wife and I both have EVOs and both phones are up to date on the same versions for Android and the new 1.5 Facebook app. Mine gets nothing in regards to Push Notifications, but hers however gets them all and almost instantly. She gets wall posts, comments, likes, requests, you name it. I am debating whether or not to do a Hard Reset to see if that helps at all, but do I really want to go through all of that just to get this app to function properly?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Getting chat pushed is a nice step. My messages getting pushed is nice also. My rad launcher pro widget shows me the rest, pokes always get emailed to me. I am not missing anything, except I think those that think it still sucks have a point. We need a complete unified pushed experience, but I am loving the chat and messages being pushed!

Mikey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The app in the market states it is for 2.2+ so I am guessing that means only phones with 2.2.1 can use it which for us EVO users who only have the base 2.2, we are left in the dark for the Push Notifications.

However here is where it gets sketchy. My wife and I both have EVOs and both phones are up to date on the same versions for Android and the new 1.5 Facebook app. Mine gets nothing in regards to Push Notifications, but hers however gets them all and almost instantly. She gets wall posts, comments, likes, requests, you name it. I am debating whether or not to do a Hard Reset to see if that helps at all, but do I really want to go through all of that just to get this app to function properly?

I just noticed the same. I have the Evo also with 2.2 exactly. I have to open the app and then it refreshes and the notifications are there but no push. That doesn't explain the other 3 phones though. Two of them have 2.2.1 I am wondering if this is not just a real buggy app that's why some us get them, some of us don't and some of us get some.

RE the question about the adding account under accounts and sync: I have an account made for Facebook for HTC Sense but not regular Facebook. It won't let me make one for it. I only use the Sense one for uploading photos and my contacts.

Sent on my Evo using Tapatalk Pro!

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I finally got my first comment push notification this morning...I only received one out of the 6 comments that were left...but I was also logged into Facebook on my PC. The only one that showed up is the one I didn't check in the notification window on the site. Which seems to be true push. It seems they may still be tweeking things within the site so our devices get them correctly. I do not have Facebook set up as an account...only FB for Sense. Since I have 2.2...it's for 2.2 and up, different from what I originally assumed.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
EVO running stock 2.2, not getting push for comments etc., only chat, messages, invites, friend requests, which I find quite pointless because aside from messages, I really don't care to have push for the other things....

Also, I am not getting a notification sound for chat etc., which I think is also really dumb because what is the point of being signed into chat on my phone if I never know that I received a message?

I think this release is really buggy. Hopefully they fix this right away.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I do appreciate the slight upgrade that we received, but I find it hard to be patient with Facebook getting this right. It would be a completely different story if it were a one-man operation pushing out half-assed updates every two months, but we are talking about Facebook here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci