Facebook for Android gets chat, push notifications

edgemaster191

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This update seems to be killing my battery - it drained from 99% to 67% in less than 40 minutes.

I just started logging out of FB when I'm not actively using it and am hopeful that will help.

Anybody else noticing major battery drainage after this update?

yeah mine is sucking the life out of my battery on my Evo. i went in and disabled all the notifications, seemed to help a little bit. still more drain than i care for.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I can't get the IMs to close permenantly. When I close a IM chat, then exit out of the FB app, then re-enter the FB app, the IM chat is there again. What's up with that. Let me get rid of the IMs!!!

kedesa

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and I hate the icon that they're using now...it's a stick in the ground with a sign on it for notifications. It's really difficult to see as it blends in with the notification bar. I would prefer it to just have a Facebook logo.

And sorry to those that it isn't working for, you'd think Facebook, which is worth billions, would be able to get this accomplished. I mean hell, they got the Blackberry one working just fine.

I am no longer getting push notifications. I was getting that new icon, but now I am getting the older icon....after I open up the app. I think they are using us as guinea pigs.......FB push beta program......

Mikey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I read this over on the facebook for android facebook page and thought it may be helpful. i havent had the chance to test it out yet but maybe someone else can...

1) To receive push notifications it appears you must get an email to an address that is associated with your phone. I turned my email notifications back on, which are associated with my gmail account, and I am receiving push notifications. As soon as I turned my email notifications back on, I began getting push notices again. This is the same way the app for Blackberry works....(or at least used to)

2) To stop push notifications it seems that you need to either turn off your email notifications from FB or have them associated with an email address that is not associated with your phone.

I don't think this is correct. The app, as far as I know, is supposed to use the c2d framework Google added in android 2.2. Also, I am getting the email notifications but have only received one instant notification from the app itself for a message.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

This is correct. Facebook integrated C2D into the app, which is also the reason that push notifications are not working properly (or working at all for that matter) on devices that are running versions of Android prior to Froyo.

I decided to test this theory to put it to rest. It didn't work for me on Evo running 2.2 anyone else successful. I don't believe it was a workable solution. I had doubts to begin with seems how I never changed the way my email did anything when I went from a Blackberry Curve 8330 to my Evo and I got all my notifications on my BB.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't get the IMs to close permenantly. When I close a IM chat, then exit out of the FB app, then re-enter the FB app, the IM chat is there again. What's up with that. Let me get rid of the IMs!!!

I'm seeing this as well.....another problem I've noticed is that my up time vs. awake time has narrowed quite a bit - usually awake time is about 1/3 of the up time....now it's well over half - meaning there's much more of a drain. I remember the FB for Android app had this problem a couple of updates ago. I had to uninstall until they got it corrected. Hope they can get this fixed as well!

marcg611

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
**PUSH FIX** Think I might have found why my I wasn't getting PUSH.. on your PC go to you FB acct settings, notification tab, go all the way to the bottom to where it says other applications, CHECK "Android Sync" and HIT SAVE!.. was only getting push notifications before up in notifications bar when opening FB app, now Im getting push notif. within 5 to 20 minutes! not amazing but better than nothing!..tested this with another account I had.. and Ive had FB chat working ever since the update... (Running a Rooted Droid Incredible with Skyraider3.5 rom) ***No Guarantees though** lol mine started working immediately after I did this(Slow push that is), yours may not**

Mikey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
**PUSH FIX** Think I might have found why my I wasn't getting PUSH.. on your PC go to you FB acct settings, notification tab, go all the way to the bottom to where it says other applications, CHECK "Android Sync" and HIT SAVE!.. was only getting push notifications before up in notifications bar when opening FB app, now Im getting push notif. within 5 to 20 minutes! not amazing but better than nothing!..tested this with another account I had.. and Ive had FB chat working ever since the update... (Running a Rooted Droid Incredible with Skyraider3.5 rom) ***No Guarantees though** lol mine started working immediately after I did this(Slow push that is), yours may not**

That's not even in my list of applications nor do I see how to get it there. Must be an Incredible thing.

Edit: So after some Googling about Android Sync on Facebook I found why you can't get it.

It's actually a program called Facebook Sync and it doesn't exist anymore. It was asked to be taken down by Facebooks lawyers due to trademark infringement.

I think you may of got lucky..LOL!

Side note on my EVO with 2.2 this morning I woke up with 3 messages this morning on Facebook. None of them ever pushed.

Last edited:

marcg611

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
That's not even in my list of applications nor do I see how to get it there. Must be an Incredible thing.

Edit: So after some Googling about Android Sync on Facebook I found why you can't get it.

So I checked into the above named program and all it does is sync pics. I think you may of got lucky..LOL!

Side note on my EVO with 2.2 this morning I woke up with 3 messages this morning on Facebook. None of them ever pushed.
Your right on that note just realized I do have a app called FB sync, didnt relate it to the Android sync... pretty sure thats all I checked when I was doing before and after testing.. Also I cant remember if these 2 where unchecked but They are checked now (htc sense, and launcher pro) Btw Im running launcherpro, might have something to do with it

Mikey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Your right on that note just realized I do have a app called FB sync, didnt relate it to the Android sync... pretty sure thats all I checked when I was doing before and after testing.. Also I cant remember if these 2 where unchecked but They are checked now (htc sense, and launcher pro) Btw Im running launcherpro, might have something to do with it

My HTC Sense is checked and I'm not getting them. I also run Launcher Pro and it's checked and not getting them either. I think we have all came to the conclusion that the app is buggy and pretty much bites..LOL!

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I definitely miss that part, and am really curious as to why BB got the best notifications. Also, what the _____ were they thinking with the new notification icon? It's hideous and kind of difficult to see.

IMO, the Blackberry does not have a true push "notifications" system for Facebook. What is does is it take the email that's setup for your Facebook, delete the email from the email server and client on the BB and keep it for the FB app itself. When I was using a BB, I found this out when I began using the Gmail app for BB versus letting the BB manage the email. As soon as I started using the app I received no more notifications.

Mikey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
IMO, the Blackberry does not have a true push "notifications" system for Facebook. What is does is it take the email that's setup for your Facebook, delete the email from the email server and client on the BB and keep it for the FB app itself. When I was using a BB, I found this out when I began using the Gmail app for BB versus letting the BB manage the email. As soon as I started using the app I received no more notifications.

It would be kinda nice if that would happen for Android. After I moved to Android phones I had to add a filter to my Gmail to keep all those from going into my inbox. I get enough emails as it is then to have those on top of it.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Add me to the list of frustrated peoples - I only receive chat updates like many of those here. I'm on the new FB profile, have everything (on the phone at least) set to notify. I've got an N1 on 2.2.1. I've cleared the data for FB via the Manage Apps tool (no cache to clear).

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Now email notifications don't even work anymore. The Facebook for Android page isn't even acknowledging that there are problems.

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like I am not the only one having issues. It worked fine for me for the first day, then it just stopped. I was getting wall posts notices and status notices...then POOF! Stopped working. WTH?

JDGAFFLIN

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm having an issue regarding active conversations. I keep closing them when I'm finshed. But every time I open the app up, they appear. Any ideas?