Facebook for Android gets chat, push notifications

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Weak

On or off. Doesn't matter. If your gonna get them, your gonna get them. We are beating a dead horse. I think it's been determined it's on Facebooks end within 14 pages.

I agree. I've tried the following and still no dice:

- Changed Facebook email to match Gmail that is synced with phone
- Tried with varous refresh rates in Facebook app
- On/off contact sync
- Reinstalled Facebook in /system/app and in /data/app
- Turned on various email notifications in Facebook app

Very frustrating when my wife's Epic gets push notifications fine

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Was hoping that Facebook would fix their push notifications as a Christmas gift to everyone. Apparently not!

(Posted from my HTC Droid Incredible)

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
... (And also give an option to Change your profile pic.)

Yeah I know! That it something I wanna do, I just took this picture but I cannot put it as my avatar until I upload it to Facebook and get on my computer? What the hell is up with that?

Sent from my Nexus S

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
So for those of us that haven't had push notifications, have they started working for anyone? It kind of distresses me to see the Facebook for Android team is offering NO feedback...

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So for those of us that haven't had push notifications, have they started working for anyone? It kind of distresses me to see the Facebook for Android team is offering NO feedback...

Nope. No biggie though as I have F Plus

Sent from my CM Powered device

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Its at no surprise ...Facebooks app has been known to have problems since it was very first released. Not sure about iPhone but it was always horrible on Blackberry and is a little better on Android. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to release something that fully functions.

wstevenj

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This update seems to be killing my battery - it drained from 99% to 67% in less than 40 minutes.

I just started logging out of FB when I'm not actively using it and am hopeful that will help.

Anybody else noticing major battery drainage after this update?

I have the Incredible and with this update I started to see my battery die after 8 hours, and that's with hardly using the phone. Last weekend I did a factory reset on my phone and have not installed the facebook update. Now I'm back to my battery lasting all day.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Most time the vast amount of battery drained is installing a lot of widgets on the device.

I did a few adjustments... and I've seen a little more battery life.
Turn off all Instant messAGES, Aim, etc.
Turn off chat in Facebook if applicable.
Turn down screen brightness.
Yea, I know these turd battery sucks too.

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Most time the vast amount of battery drained is installing a lot of widgets on the device.

I did a few adjustments... and I've seen a little more battery life.
Turn off all Instant messAGES, Aim, etc.
Turn off chat in Facebook if applicable.
Turn down screen brightness.
Yea, I know these turd battery sucks too.

you dont really have to do all of that.

i use beejiveIM which uses push so its gentle on the battery
put the screen on auto brightness
using beejive it has Fb chat in it so turning chat off in the native app is good

puntorotary

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Unplugged my phone this morning and checked it 11 hours later only to see my extended battery drained. I downloaded spare parts and noticed that my FB app wasnt lettng my phone sleep, it was awake since the time i unplugged it. Needless to say i just logged off from the FB app till an update fixes it.

xocarrie

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I can't get FB chat to close on my phone. I have closed each conversation and clicked "go offline", but once I begin chatting on FB on my computer, they pop up on my phone again. Has this happened to anyone else? I keep going offline but continue to get the alerts & messages on my phone (despite disabling all notifications). Help??

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
So have FB push notifications been given up on? They never worked for my phone (and many others from what I can tell) and I never saw or heard anything out of the official Facebook for Android team.

samster1986

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a HTC EVO, I'm not getting the push notifications when i'm logged on my account. But when I log off so that my friend can use my phone to check his fb account, he gets notifications pushed all the time. This is very frustrating how come he gets notifications pushed to my phone on his account when his using my phone, but when I'm logged on, I'm get nothing.
So its not a problem with my phone or app, its more on fb's hope they fix this soon!!

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Push notifications recently started working for me... but now Facebook seems to cain my battery. Right now on my Nexus S, after 7 hours unplugged it is the top user at 30% (even display is only 25%).