Why I like Youmail over GV

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Since some are up in arms about the mini review of you mail, I thought I would chime in.

I have been using youmail since I had my moto q9m. I have never had problems with the service, both when it was in beta and when it came out of beta.

Pros:
Personalized greetings.
EX: "Hello Phil, Anthony can't come to the phone right now, etc."
you load up the addresses you want, etc.

The negative is if you have a few people from the same company, it will always choose the first one in the list....Instead of Phil from AC, it will say Jerry, which is a bit disturbing at times. Imagine calling someone who has you mail and you call from your wife's phone and it says, XXXX and not the smart greeting.

I do use this as my voicemail and still have my google number so they do compliment each other well.
I do not use GV app and to be honest the Youmail app always says no internet connection detected, but always works.

Thoughts?

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
GV has personalized greetings too.... what does YouMail do that GV doesn't?

Youmail does not give you a phone number, and give you routing options. I've been using GV for quite some time now as my primary voice mail service. Implements into Android quite well I think.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I got youmail and tried for a couple days. It's the same thing as GV, with a few less features.

The only people who would say otherwise haven't toyed around with google voice (you have to set up a lot of the features at google.com/voice -> your account).

It literally brings you visual voice, and personalized greetings. Both are easily achieved with GV. GV also gives you routing, a personal phone number, texting, transcription, and it integrates with your phone just fine (with the exception of the voicemail icon on the bottom left of the dialer... I can't for the life of me get that to change to my GV number... but holding 1 shortcuts to the Voicemail service either way.).

The only thing with GV that I wish it would do, is literally replace verizon's system. This way I can open up dialer, click voicemail, and get visual voice services. As it is now, I need to open up GV app to get the service. One extra step.

Either way, IMO, youmail exists for people who haven't tried google voice.

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Youmail vs. Gvoice

Here is my question about these 2 apps:

I currently use the GV app and phone # they gave me for people that I don't want to have my actual cell phone #. When people call my real # they get Verizon's voicemail service. When people call my GV # they get my GV voicemail service. Is it at all possible to keep this set up but ALSO get my voicemails transcribed when someone leaves a message on Verizon's voicemail service when they call my real #? Will using Youmail accomplish this? & I am looking for a free way to do this - not by paying $3/month for Verizon's VVM service....

Also, at one point you had to forward missed calls to Youmail's server in order for Youmail to work and that process was quite extensive and it costs $ on some carriers (Sprint I think)... is this still the case? Or is it as simple as installing Youmail app and going thru a few steps to set it up?

TIA

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Why I like Youmail over GV
As others have already asked, where's the difference? You like Youmail over GV because it has personalized greetings which GV also offers? That doesn't make sense to me. There should be an advantage to the option you prefer unless you just flipped a coin to determine your preference.

The negative is if you have a few people from the same company
From the same company or the same phone number (they're not the same thing)? I'd hope that personalized greetings would be based on phone number and not on the company specified for a given contact.

This way I can open up dialer, click voicemail, and get visual voice services. As it is now, I need to open up GV app to get the service. One extra step.
Sounds like 1 less to me:

1. Open up dialer
2. Click voicemail

versus:

1. Open GV

I currently use the GV app and phone # they gave me for people that I don't want to have my actual cell phone #. When people call my real # they get Verizon's voicemail service. When people call my GV # they get my GV voicemail service. Is it at all possible to keep this set up but ALSO get my voicemails transcribed when someone leaves a message on Verizon's voicemail service when they call my real #?
No. If VZW's voicemail is handling messages for calls to your VZW number then you're stuck with whatever VZW offers for VM. This really applies to whatever VM system you're using. There are no standards that allow for interaction from one VM system to another.

Also, at one point you had to forward missed calls to Youmail's server in order for Youmail to work and that process was quite extensive and it costs $ on some carriers (Sprint I think)... is this still the case? Or is it as simple as installing Youmail app and going thru a few steps to set it up?
There's no way for a VM system that isn't your carrier's VM to handle calls without conditional call forwarding. Again, if calls roll to VZW's VM system then you're stuck with whatever VZW's VM system has to offer. Calls/messages can't be transferred from one system to another.

Last edited:
Reactions: tony bag o donuts
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry same number.
I am giving GV a shot and see how it goes.
Why not right?

It was my understanding that personal greetings in GV was for groups, not individuals, but I am assuming I am wrong in that regard? I was using youmail when it was in beta and GV wasn't available to everyone. So it has been what I have been comfortable with.

Jayhawk, I never had a charge, etc. from YM.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry same number.
I am giving GV a shot and see how it goes.
Why not right?

It was my understanding that personal greetings in GV was for groups, not individuals, but I am assuming I am wrong in that regard? I was using youmail when it was in beta and GV wasn't available to everyone. So it has been what I have been comfortable with.

Jayhawk, I never had a charge, etc. from YM.

You are right, it is for groups. But you can have as many groups as you want.... so essentially, you could have a personalized greeting for each person.

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
As others have already asked, where's the difference? You like Youmail over GV because it has personalized greetings which GV also offers? That doesn't make sense to me. There should be an advantage to the option you prefer unless you just flipped a coin to determine your preference.

From the same company or the same phone number (they're not the same thing)? I'd hope that personalized greetings would be based on phone number and not on the company specified for a given contact.

Sounds like 1 less to me:

1. Open up dialer
2. Click voicemail

versus:

1. Open GV

No. If VZW's voicemail is handling messages for calls to your VZW number then you're stuck with whatever VZW offers for VM. This really applies to whatever VM system you're using. There are no standards that allow for interaction from one VM system to another.

There's no way for a VM system that isn't your carrier's VM to handle calls without conditional call forwarding. Again, if calls roll to VZW's VM system then you're stuck with whatever VZW's VM system has to offer. Calls/messages can't be transferred from one system to another.

Thanks for your replies. A follow up question: if what you are saying is correct (which I am not doubting) then how does the GV app allow you to use GV for your primary voicemail service? It gives you that option when you initially set it up I believe...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. A follow up question: if what you are saying is correct (which I am not doubting) then how does the GV app allow you to use GV for your primary voicemail service? It gives you that option when you initially set it up I believe...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

The GV app doesn't actually control that. What's happening is you set up your cell carrier's system to forward missed calls to your GV number. GV then recognizes that it's a forwarded missed call and sends it straight to the GV voicemail.

So it's actually two systems working together seamlessly.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I switched over. Liking it. It's a bit slower to me retrieving voicemail but at least it saves the battery. Youmails app was always looking for a connection saying none was available. So from a battery standpoint Google is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs