I have to say, the way street names constantly fade in drives me crazy - it's so distracting! I also prefer the sharper lines in the old version to the new fuzzier look. Another thing that bugs me is that it's too easy to rotate the map when using pinch-to-zoom. The 3-D buildings are nice but mostly just for show, though I will say the compass mode is a really nice feature.

Okay, rant over. Did anyone else reinstall the old version?
    12-16-2010 09:46 PM
    I have to say, the way street names constantly fade in drives me crazy - it's so distracting! I also prefer the sharper lines in the old version to the new fuzzier look. Another thing that bugs me is that it's too easy to rotate the map when using pinch-to-zoom. The 3-D buildings are nice but mostly just for show, though I will say the compass mode is a really nice feature.

Okay, rant over. Did anyone else reinstall the old version?
    I'm considering rolling back. We need the option to turn off the rotation/tilting. Also, it seems to keep running in the background long after it's been used. First time I've seen Google Maps on my Battery Use screen, right after Android System.
    12-16-2010 10:14 PM
    I dislike ads!
    12-17-2010 01:19 AM
    I like it, I mean it adds a little more eyecandy to the maps with the "3D" buildings. However it doesn't work everywhere. I am definitely considering rolling back to the old version but I think I am going to give this version at least a week to see how I feel about it.
    12-17-2010 09:16 AM
    I tend to use TeleNav, but I admit to liking the GM eye candy...
    12-17-2010 01:28 PM
    same here..the ads are terrible n 3d is a waste
    12-17-2010 02:33 PM
    I haven't come across ads to the best of my knowledge. The battery drain is an interesting phenomenon. I noticed the same with the places widget after the last update, but the fact that the app chews battery, is not good.
    12-17-2010 02:59 PM
    Before the update, I've seen Google Maps listed as running in the background quite a bit...in regards to post #2.

I havn't used it enough to decide honestly...just checked out the quicker draw, and the tilt (oddly, my rotate wasn't working).

One thing is for sure though, the Compass Mode is AWESOME!
    12-17-2010 03:19 PM
    My only gripe is the way the 3D tilt works.

When moving/rotating/zooming, you are controlling the map but when doing a two finger swipe, you are controlling the camera and it makes the controls feel backwards to me.

Basically, I think you should slide up to view 3D and down to go back to 2D.
    12-17-2010 08:57 PM
    The only thing I don't like is that they took away the bubble button.
    12-17-2010 09:13 PM
    My only gripe is the way the 3D tilt works.

When moving/rotating/zooming, you are controlling the map but when doing a two finger swipe, you are controlling the camera and it makes the controls feel backwards to me.

Basically, I think you should slide up to view 3D and down to go back to 2D.
    Just think of it as if you are/were in an airplane.
    12-19-2010 10:11 AM
    I love this update for the massive speed increase (due to moving vector data vs. bitmaps). I live in the sticks, and most of my commute is solidly in 1xRTT territory. For the first time, GM can keep the map displayed without awkward pauses while data trickles in.

I also like that you can now zoom arbitrarily, rather than jumping between discrete levels based on what bitmaps are available.
    12-19-2010 11:07 AM
    I have the new GM and it says 3d will work on android 2.x I have CM6.1 which is based on 2.2 but my 3d doesn't show up. Do i have to activate it somehow? i figured out how to tilt with two finger down and up but i still only see a 2d map and have zoomed in and out.

any help?
    12-19-2010 01:22 PM
    Ryan:

Check the help from within Google maps and see the list of cities with 3d buildings, then see if you live there or not.

Sent from my SH-03C
    12-19-2010 05:43 PM
    I see improvements, nothing wrong, at least not to me...
    12-19-2010 05:46 PM
    I like it especially the compass mode
    12-19-2010 08:19 PM
    i reverted back today. I like having north as up and every time i tried to zoom i dont keep my fingers straight across from one another so i kept rotating the map. but my biggest problem is that the app kept locking up my phone where i needed to pull the battery to get it working again. if i wanted to keep doing that all the time i would have kept my blackberry. hopefully google solves these problems.
    12-21-2010 04:15 PM
    The battery drain is insane. I mentioned that in another post a few days ago. I really like everything else though, so I'll just keep it, and always do a force close when I'm done.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    12-21-2010 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD