I've noticed it in the past month or so, for Android 4.2 and higher. I'll be listening to an audio book on Scribd, or one of my BeyondPod playlists, and for whatever reason I decide I want to pause it. So I carelessly squeeze the little inline control on my headset. I say "carelessly", because as soon as I pause it, then, like a rude and smelly hippo crashing a picnic, Play Music immediately resumes playing whatever I was last listening to on it. From then on the pause/resume control will only work with Play Music, and there is no way I can get back to my podcast without lighting up the phone and using the touch screen. The only way I can reliably prevent this from happening is by disabling Play Music along with any other music managers before listening to my podcast. Another workaround is to download podcasts and then listen to them using Play Music. I don't have a problem with that, but this approach doesn't work for Scribd. I don't think Scribd really wants their users to manipulate downloaded files; in fact, whatever I have "saved to device" seems to evaporate so that some sort of data connection is almost always needed.

Since I was on 4.2 long before I noticed the problem, I gather that the problem is rooted in some or all of the apps or app types I've mentioned--Play Music and similar apps, BeyondPod, and or Scribd.

What I would like to ask now is whether many others have been experiencing this issue, and if any sort of patches or fixes have been found. I'd also like to know if this problem is limited to Samsung Galaxy devices. I've experienced it on both my Epic 4g Touch and the S5 I got a little less than two weeks ago.
    02-16-2015 01:36 AM
    I've discovered that this problem can work both ways between BeyondPod and Play Music. So I can be working my way through a playlist on Play Music, off and on as my activities allow it throughout the day. And occasionally BeyondPod will come on instead--as before, whatever it was last listening to.

So this doesn't seem to be an issue with Play Music specifically, but more likely something with the OS. I've had it happen with both KitKat 4.4.4 and Lollipop 5.0, so neither does it seem to have originated with one of the most recent Android versions. To me this all seems to be a significant defect, through whether it's in how these various apps interrface with the system, or how the hardware (i.e. the headset with the button) does, I don't know. I've never known the problem to occur without the headphones, but for me that would be irrelevant. What with (1) the usual ambient noise being outdoors in even my small city, and (2) not wanting to annoy other people nearby, and (3) having a stereo in my home, I never do listen to anything on my phone without headphones.

Am I wrong, and is this actually a feature? I can't imagine that it is, but then it's possible I'm missing something obvious.
    02-26-2015 12:20 AM